Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies. Verse Tool: show

Boyd's Crucifixion of the Warrior God

Re: Boyd's Crucifixion of the Warrior God

Postby mattrose » Thu May 18, 2017 9:22 am

Homer wrote: I am interested in how Boyd handles 2 Kings 19:35:

2 Kings 19:35 (NASB)

35. Then it happened that night that the angel of the Lord went out and struck 185,000 in the camp of the Assyrians; and when men rose early in the morning, behold, all of them were dead.

Volume 2 of Boyd's book has a 50+ page list of Scriptures referenced throughout the work. 2 Kings 19:35 is only mentioned once (page 320). And there it is only mentioned briefly as another example of 'the dark side of the Bible'. Obviously Boyd believes that his cruciform thesis (revealed in volume 2) will provide a way to interpret this text in a way that negates the idea that Jesus, in that passage, killed those Assyrians. I haven't gotten far enough yet to comment on the exact nature of that interpretation.
mattrose

Re: Boyd's Crucifixion of the Warrior God

Postby Homer » Thu May 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Matt,

Thank you very much for your labor and insight.

You wrote in your blog:

In some ways, he was the anti-Moses, the anti-Joshua, the anti-David, the anti-Elijah, etc. He was the Messiah no one expected because they were prepared (largely by the Old Testament) for a military Messiah. It is the challenge of Boyd's book to discover how the violent texts of the Old Testament actually testify to the revelation of God through Christ.

There were things in the OT that arguably could/should have caused a different expectation of the Messiah, Isaiah 53, for example. I have long wondered if we are as wrong as they were (about the Messiah's first coming) in our expectation of the messiah in His coming at the end of the age. I am definitely not a dispensationalist in the popular sense but there have been different periods that can be called dispensations and perhaps the role of the Son of God is delimited by His intention for that dispensation. He came as Lord and Savior but not yet as judge, which seems to be clearly foretold. And it seems likely He will be more than we understand.

What it will be like after the end of the age and the Lord's return is not at all clear in the details. I have Randy Alcorn's book "Heaven" and it seems based more on reason and speculation than scripture, but perhaps that is the best that can be done.

Looking forward to more in your blog.
Homer

Previous

Return to Teachers, Authors, and Movements