Watchman Nee

_Anonymous

Watchman Nee

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:27 pm

:D Steve, The name,
Watchman Nee came up in your bio or radio program. This name started
ringing bells for me. Please tell me who he is. Is he controversial or were
the ringing bells in error?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:23 pm

Watchman Nee was a Christian leader of the "Little Flock" movement in China. He was arrested and imprisoned by the Communist Chinese government, where he was tortured and mutilated for at least twenty years before he died in prison.

His theology was ecclectic, as he was influenced by various streams, and derived some of his doctrine from each. Notably, he picked up dispensationalism from his association with the Plymouth Brethren, and also came to believe in the doctrine of purgatory, through Roman Catholic influences.

There are many books bearing his name, some of which he wrote, and others were released after his imprisonment by disciples who had heard him speak and who preseved notes of his lectures. Nee was essentially doctrinally sound, with a few exceptions (e.g., the afore-mentioned dispensationalism and purgatory doctrines).

I believe that some of his books can mislead Christians (e.g., his book "Spiritual Authority" was the basis for the so-called "Shepherding-Discipleship" movement of the 70s), but I have found him to be generally edifying and insightful on certain points. He must be read with discernment, like everyone else.

I would not feel the need to caution you about him any more than I would about most other evangelical teachers. That is, there will be things that you should not necessarily embrace in some of his teachings, and they should be read with discernment. Regardless of my agreement or disagreement with him on any given issue, I regard him to have been a truly heroic Christian martyr, and he has my admiration.
Last edited by FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:46 pm

Watchman Nee is someone I admire. Though I have only read two of His books ("Sit, Walk, Stand"/ "The Spiritual Man"), He has blessed me with His writings. Steve said right, every great man of God may have views that are incorrect, but take the good avoid the bad.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”