Book review: Pagan Christianity

RickC

Re: Book review: Pagan Christianity

Post by RickC » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Sam & Isaac -

This 2 year old discussion was on Steve's 'old' forum.

I "bumped" it (posted on it, brought it to the top) because I didn't know if "applause" was mentioned in Pagan Christianity (PC). I didn't think it would be, but posted on this thread anyway.

Anyway, I did find that -
Some time around 200s AD, applause of the congregation was encouraged by a preacher (if they approved his message). I didn't save the link, but if I'm not mistaken, it was at least a fairly famous Church Father.

The history of applause (and cheering and booing) goes way back and is hard to trace in the church. One form of applause in both the Church and at secular events like plays was "waving the tassles of your garment."

It would be interesting to know if the very early churches of the 'house church' variety practiced this (in some form). There may be no way to know....

In any event, this thread effectively 'died' a couple years ago (Mort_Coyle goes by his real name now, Danny). Mattrose still goes by mattrose.

Jepne

Re: Book review: Pagan Christianity

Post by Jepne » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:52 pm

For SamIam – I love singing with our Mennonite brothers and sisters with their four-part harmony – it is very powerful. But I know from experience that a person can prophesy with an instrument. In the OT there was much praise with the timbrel and harp. David prophesied with his harp and chased the demons from Saul.

Rick wrote about applause. Yes we are to respond, but to God, not as in a theatre. I also hate it when a person starts out with a joke – he should start out on his face!

When a word from the Lord is given in prophecy, I have heard spontaneous applause and cheering directed to God, but I have also seen people just fall on their faces, literally and figuratively. At times when the music is particularly anointed, the people respond with singing along, weeping, dancing, or a person may be given further verses to the song being sung and they get up and sing them on the open mike.

I have enjoyed y’all’s input. Jepne

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”