Rick Warren and the Purpose Driven Church?

Homer

Re: Rick Warren and the Purpose Driven Church?

Post by Homer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi Matt,

You wrote:
Every church gets its music from the culture. It is not optional. Some of us just prefer the 'culture' of years past.
I think you would be on solid ground if you said "most all" instead of "every". Those who believe and practice acapella music in church for what they see as scriptural reasons and the practice of the earliest Christians can not be said to base their practice on the culture. And after visiting the local Mennonite church I must say I have never heard, in any church, such beautiful singing. And there was no "worship team", just one man who got the pitch and first word out and was quickly drowned out by the congregation.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:04 am

Homer wrote:Hi Matt,

You wrote:
Every church gets its music from the culture. It is not optional. Some of us just prefer the 'culture' of years past.
I think you would be on solid ground if you said "most all" instead of "every". Those who believe and practice acapella music in church for what they see as scriptural reasons and the practice of the earliest Christians can not be said to base their practice on the culture. And after visiting the local Mennonite church I must say I have never heard, in any church, such beautiful singing. And there was no "worship team", just one man who got the pitch and first word out and was quickly drowned out by the congregation.
You might be right. I don't know if acapella music was wholly counter-cultural or not. I also love to hear it/participate in it.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:22 pm

Homer wrote:
mattrose wrote:Every church gets its music from the culture. It is not optional. Some of us just prefer the 'culture' of years past.
I grew up conservative Mennonite. They don't realize (nor did I until many years after leaving) that singing in 4-part harmony is a relatively very new innovation for them; even just a century ago, their ancestors thought it very "worldly." They do know that not a few of the tunes for the old hymns they sing came from contemporary culture (drinking songs, etc.) and many others came from classical composers of the time (Mozart, Brahms, etc.). So Matt's statement very much applies even to them.

"Outsiders" often tend to have a very idealized, romanticized image of conservative Mennonites. They're good folks, but just like everyone else, when you scratch the surface, they're a lot more like the rest of us than they'd like to admit.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi Backwoodsman,
They don't realize (nor did I until many years after leaving) that singing in 4-part harmony is a relatively very new innovation for them; even just a century ago, their ancestors thought it very "worldly."
I would not question your knowledge of the Mennonites. But what is popularly known as "Sacred Harp" (name came from the name of a songbook) singing, I believe, originated within the protestant church, much more than a century ago. And acapella dates back at least to the synagogue where instruments were forbidden.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:26 am

I think you might be conflating Rick Warren with the larger seeker sensitive movement. There may be some elements of that in his church, but I don't think it's fair to say its from his basic beliefs about doing church.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gail1954

Post by Gail1954 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:53 am

Thank you for this post on Rick Warren as I have been attending an off-shoot program of his called "Celebrate Recovery". It is not just for people with drug and drinking problem but other issues they face, mine is anger which does not make me very Christ like. I believe churches should encouraging their people not to be driven by people but lead by the spirit to help the lost know Jesus. Again thank you for this post.

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”