Bonhoeffer, Dietrich

_Anonymous

Bonhoeffer, Dietrich

Post by _Anonymous » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:10 pm

Have read "Cost of Discipleship", and "Ethics" by Bonhoeffer. How do you feel about his writing?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:01 pm

I have left this post unanswered for some time, simply because I have not read Bonhoeffer's books, and did not feel competent to evaluate them. But, just so you will know that your question is not being ignored, I will say a few things, and leave it to those who have actually read the books to give the more authoritative responses.

Attracted by the title, I began reading "The Cost of Discipleship" in the early seventies. For some reason, I could not "get into it" at that time, and never got very far through it. This is not to say that the book was flawed. There were several great authors that everyone was reading in those days (e.g., Francis Schaeffer, Watchman Nee, Andrew Murray, etc.) that I often found difficult to follow. It may be entirely a matter of where my head was at or a deficiency in my reading skills.

I regard Bonhoeffer to have been a good (possibly a great) Christian man, having become somewhat familiar with his biography. I agree with many (most) of the things that I have heard that he said or wrote. I have never agreed with his participation in a plot to assasinate Adolph Hitler, though, had I been living in Germany at the time, I might also have found the temptation to be overwhelming. I have, no doubt, been guilty of worse things. On balance, I admire the man, and have heard very good things about his writings. However, I must leave it to others to review his books, since I have not read them.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Anonymous

Bonhoeffer

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:12 pm

Henry

I found the Cost of Discipleship to be somewhat difficult reading. That may be partly because it was originally written in German, and then translated into English. There are times when reading that it appears to be advocating perfectionism, and then half the book later Bonhoeffer says something to clarify that. Bonhoeffer's Ethics was not actually completed by Bonhoeffer. He had written parts, hid them from the Nazis, and parts were later found, and an attempt was made to organize it into the book. Bethge, who undertook this and Bonhoeffers bio, admits to that difficulty. Some chapters, for example, are not complete, and it is possible that some more that would have shed more light on the subject had not been finished, or at least not found.

Bonhoeffer himself seems to have had some concerns about his path that led to his death. He told a co-conspiritor that the principle of "he who lives by the sword, shall die by the sword" applied to what they were doing. He believed killing only acceptable if there were no other alternative, even in execution He talks about the "necessary lie". The example he gives is an innocent man hiding from people who wish to kill him unjustly (he does not specifically say Jew hunted by Nazi, but seems to be what he had in mind), that it was appropriate to claim ignorance when asked where the intended victim was. Yet, Bonhoeffer said the liar still needed to recognize the lie
as sin, and confess accordingly. With these principles in mind it seems that Bonhoeffer believed the assasination of Hitler as necessary, and yet, still sin. He believed that his participation in the conspiracy would disqualify him from further ministry. Was he right? Who knows. But he did seem to understand the moral dilemma that many, myself included, have when seeing the implications of his actions.

Bonhoeffer is, to say the least, and interesting character. If, as many believe, the U.S. is heading for judgement, another look at him might be something that a lot of 21st century christians need to consider before we find ourselves in that situation, rather that wait until then and wonder what to do as he had to do.
Reason:

Michelle

Re: Bonhoeffer, Dietrich

Post by Michelle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:44 pm

I realize this is 5 1/2 years old, but instead of starting a new thread, I just thought I'd resurrect this old dead one.

I just read Life Together by Bonhoeffer, and I loved it. Has anyone else read it? I'd love to discuss it...

steve

Post by steve » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:57 pm

I had a copy of the book, back in the seventies, but (like so many other books on my shelf) I didn't get around to reading it. Some of my friends were reading it and really liked it, but, as I said above, I found Bonhoeffer difficult reading at the time, and have never given him another chance. Shame on me. I should probably try to get back into him.

selah

Post by selah » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:19 am

Michelle wrote:I realize this is 5 1/2 years old, but instead of starting a new thread, I just thought I'd resurrect this old dead one.

I just read Life Together by Bonhoeffer, and I loved it. Has anyone else read it? I'd love to discuss it...
Michelle,

This is a perfect topic! I have not read it but I googled it and found a commentary on it within Wikipedia. I quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Toget ... Bonhoeffer,
"Bonhoeffer...was able to articulate what he saw as the gap in reality between what the Church should look like according to the Book of Acts, and what the Church actually looked like before the eyes of the world...Christians are to establish unity and it matters not if they agree on the words to sing or what tempo to praise their Creator. He argues what is important is that they are lifting their voices up in unison...When the people of God come together to share their lives openly and freely, accepting each other with a kind of unconditional positive regard, there is a sort of social-spiritual "chemistry" that emerges, and those who come together experience a delightful cohesion and sense of belonging." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Toget ... Bonhoeffer

I will look for it and read it asap.

selah*
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”