Emerging church movement

_Anonymous

postmodern church/seeker sensitive

Post by _Anonymous » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:58 am

:idea:
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the discussion.
I'm so fustrated with the seeker sensitive stuff. I mean what about all the rest of the people, who have gone to church for years. All of a sudden, everything changes and the church focus is winning people from the pulpit, not feeding. Not any of us! This is the church that I am involved in right now. I am sick to think that many will like this seminar way of preaching buut never hunger for the Word as it truely is. My heart is broken, and my family is stepping out of service positions along with many other. We are looking for a new church.
I was told by a friend at church that about 80 % of people attending don't go to bible study. Ok, if that is true than if they don't get the word from the pulpit where will they get it. It's all so watered down!!! I can't see God being happy with this at all.
Thanks for listening
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Anonymous

postmodern church/seeker sensitive

Post by _Anonymous » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:01 am

:idea:
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the discussion.
I'm so fustrated with the seeker sensitive stuff. I mean what about all the rest of the people, who have gone to church for years. All of a sudden, everything changes and the church focus is winning people from the pulpit, not feeding. Not any of us! This is the church that I am involved in right now. I am sick to think that many will like this seminar way of preaching buut never hunger for the Word as it truely is. My heart is broken, and my family is stepping out of service positions along with many other. We are looking for a new church.
I was told by a friend at church that about 80 % of people attending don't go to bible study. Ok, if that is true than if they don't get the word from the pulpit where will they get it. It's all so watered down!!! I can't see God being happy with this at all.
Thanks for listening
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:18 pm

Jules
Generally agree. May I suggest that you find others in your area who have similar feelings and see if you can work out a schedule for a bible study for your group. If someone is capable and willing to lead/teach so much the better. Ultimately, your pastor, elders etc. are not as responsible for your getting to the "food" as you yourself are. Incidently, these people in this hypothetical group do not have to be from the same church, or even agree on a bunch of secondary doctrines. Give it a shot.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:24 pm

To Jules40
It occurred to me that it might seem that I was letting the pastors/elders off the hook with my response. Jesus said "to him who much is given, much will be required" (Luke 14) and of course James had something to say about teachers responsibility. I, of course can't judge their motivation, but I've been around long enough to have seen people see what they perceive as a problem, (real or not) and respond a certain way, and have seen others in other situations, observe someone doing something similiar and question the same thing. Apart from the already given suggestion, there is something to be said about praying for the leadership (Hebrews, I believe Chapter 13, don't have my Bible with me, and am using a friends computer.) I don't know where you are at, but one hopes that if you try some kind of home study to suppliment the "milk" that you should be able to find others who would join you.
Keep us posted.
Reason:

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”