Rob Bell comes out in support of gay marriage.

brody196

Rob Bell comes out in support of gay marriage.

Post by brody196 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:22 am

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/ke ... x-marriage

Seems like the doctrine of hell should be the least of his concern now...

Discuss.

Paidion

Re: Rob Bell comes out in support of gay marriage.

Post by Paidion » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:33 am

All I can say is "Sad".... His stance will support the position of many concerning universal reconciliation: "Everyone can do as he likes; everyone will end up in heaven anyway."
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:36 am

I'd say that article is as good an argument as any for using a little discernment about whom we choose to respect as a Christian teacher or leader.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:43 am

It's a pretty terrible quote
"I am for marriage. I am for fidelity. I am for love, whether it's a man and woman, a woman and a woman, a man and a man. I think the ship has sailed and I think the church needs -- I think this is the world we are living in and we need to affirm people wherever they are."
Is he for God's view of marriage or the secular view? Is he for fidelity to God? Does he allow God to define love? Do we just cave when we lose ground in the culture? Where does 'affirming people' end?

I had hoped, when I clicked on the link, that it would reveal a non-opposition to secular gay marriage. I think there's a legitimate debate to be had there. But he is actually supporting gay marriage, here, and that is a real shame.

I've never read anything by Rob Bell. I've never even watched more than a few minutes of his popular videos. I am less inclined to now... but I will, at least, say... that just b/c someone is wrong on a major issue like this... it doesn't necessarily dismiss everything they say about everything. I'm sure he has his finer points.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:53 am

I think the ship has sailed and I think the church needs -- I think this is the world we are living in and we need to affirm people wherever they are."

I guess "the ship" is not a metaphor for the bible but for the culture. So for Bell the culture changing is more important then the bible. Eventually polygamy will probably be accepted so maybe Bell should stay ahead of the curve now and announce his support.
Also the culture accepts abortion, what pray tell is his position on this issue? After all this ship has sailed too. How about divorce? After all the culture accepts this too as well as gambling.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:33 am

but I will, at least, say... that just b/c someone is wrong on a major issue like this... it doesn't necessarily dismiss everything they say about everything. I'm sure he has his finer points.
Even the secular world is right about some things. But we shouldn't be surprised; with so much thinking influenced by humanistic values we can expect to see more by "Christians" from the future. There is far less biblical argument against polygamy than there is gay marriage.

brody196

Post by brody196 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:24 pm

The sad thing about this whole situation is that it couldn't have come at a worse time. The whole "gay marriage" debate has recently taken center stage and Christians should be defending the truth in the public square, rather than compromising and giving in. I am not sure if Mr. Bell will receive biblical correction on this issue, but I certainly hope that he will. He is in a prominent position to be heard by many, surely the evangelical world will call him out on this.
I wonder how he will respond to the biblical text that condemn his position?

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:09 pm

He is in a prominent position to be heard by many, surely the evangelical world will call him out on this.
But who are the "evangelicals"? Is Bell? The place he spoke was an Episcopal church; I don't think they are evangelicals. Conservative, bible based Christians are probably the "evangelical subculture" he derides, as were the early Christians - definately a subculture.

It is terribly sad that the majority of people in this country now favor gay marriage.

brody196

Post by brody196 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Homer wrote:
He is in a prominent position to be heard by many, surely the evangelical world will call him out on this.
But who are the "evangelicals"? Is Bell? The place he spoke was an Episcopal church; I don't think they are evangelicals. Conservative, bible based Christians are probably the "evangelical subculture" he derides, as were the early Christians - definately a subculture.

It is terribly sad that the majority of people in this country now favor gay marriage.
I agree Homer. It's sad that instead of preaching repentance, which brings life, many have caved in to a feel good gospel that basically allows anything. I suspect many more denominations will start allowing gay marriage and pastors to become "ordained" through their ministries. If we are not experiencing a "great falling away" in this generation, I don't know how else you could define it.

The only upside that I can see is that maybe real Christians will rise up and flee the lukewarm churches. Who knows?

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Support for gay marriage does not constitute "compromising and giving in." It is radical. If I hold a high view of scripture and re-examine a text and belief, the conclusion I come to is risky, because I will be held accountable by God for that belief, particularly if I teach it. Don't take lightly the conviction of people who take this radical position. If they are people of integrity (and many, including me are) they are not compromising or giving in. Far from.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”