Strange Fire - Macarthur

darinhouston

Strange Fire - Macarthur

Post by darinhouston » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm surprised there's been no discussion of Macarthur's Strange Fire conference (or his book).

steve

Re: Strange Fire - Macarthur

Post by steve » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:11 pm

I find that surprising also, Darin. Maybe people feel that it has been discussed to death already (I kind of feel that way). However, there are no doubt peop[le on both sides of the issue here who could conduct a lively discussion.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:20 pm

Well, I haven't commented because I knew nothing about it until I looked it up on the internet about 2 minutes ago. Perhaps that is the reason for a number of others not commenting as well.

Even now that I know what the conference is about, I am still disinclined to comment. Who am I to say how the spirit of God is to be expressed in the lives of Christ's disciples?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Here is the link for Steve's comments on the Strange Fire conference which he spoke about during a morning radio show:

The Narrow Path Morning Show - 10/23/2013

Jarrod

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Michael Brown has been talking a great deal about this and recently James White has responded on his dividing line program.

Michael Brown said he's now writing a book in response to John MacArthur called Authentic Fire.

There may also be a debate about cessationism coming between Michael Brown and a cessationist moderated by James White. That could be interesting.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

steve

Post by steve » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Is James White cessationist (I would assume so, but I was surprised to learn that Mark Driscoll was not, so you never know)?

darinhouston

Strange Fire - Macarthur

Post by darinhouston » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 pm

I'm listening to his latest several podcasts right now. He's definitely a cessationalist. But he thinks (so far) MacArthur is using too broad a brush. Apparently Piper is a continualist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:35 pm

steve wrote:Is James White cessationist (I would assume so, but I was surprised to learn that Mark Driscoll was not, so you never know)?
Yes, James White is most definitely cessationist. But others like John Piper and Sam Storms (both Calvinist) are not.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

darinhouston

Strange Fire - Macarthur

Post by darinhouston » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:29 am

Sean wrote:
steve wrote:Is James White cessationist (I would assume so, but I was surprised to learn that Mark Driscoll was not, so you never know)?
Yes, James White is most definitely cessationist. But others like John Piper and Sam Storms (both Calvinist) are not.
He considers himself a moderate cessationalist and that we should respect the different variations of those who believe there are some continued spiritual gifts. (I wish he were as charitable towards issues of soteriology). He denies the spectacular "sign gifts" continue since their apostolic purpose ended in 70AD. But he disagrees with some who believe even particular gifts like spiritual discernment and enabling gifts ceased and he does not believe those gifts ceased or that the spirit quit working in peoples's lives. He seems to differentiate primarily in the extent and degree outpourings should be considered normative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean

Post by Sean » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:50 am

darinhouston wrote: He denies the spectacular "sign gifts" continue since their apostolic purpose ended in 70AD. But he disagrees with some who believe even particular gifts like spiritual discernment and enabling gifts ceased and he does not believe those gifts ceased or that the spirit quit working in peoples's lives. He seems to differentiate primarily in the extent and degree outpourings should be considered normative.
While it does make more sense to believe "sign gifts" ended at 70AD instead of the completion of the NT canon, I do find it interesting that when he's making his point he seems to single out tongues as no longer necessary as they were to be a sign to Israel. But even if this were true about tongues, why would other supernatural gifts also need to end at 70AD? Wouldn't the church still need these gifts: word of wisdom, word of knowledge, miracles, healing and prophecy? I hear what James White says about tongues being a sign but where do we read that these other gifts were given to the church as a sign to Israel?

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”