Preachers who do not advocate war from the pulpit

rcassell

Preachers who do not advocate war from the pulpit

Post by rcassell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi:

I have been looking for months for preachers to listen to sermons by, who do not advocate war from the pulpit. Every week, I ask numerous pastors with websites with sermons, if they actively pray for the safety of American soldiers from their pulpit, or do they pray for the safety of Christians in lands being attacked by American soldiers. I am yet to get an affirmative reply from any pastor that he prays for the safety of Christians in lands being attacked by America. To me, that is a clear admission of which kingdom they are promoting - and it obviously isn't the Kingdom of God. Can anyone give the names of any pastors that are faithful in the area of serving and preaching the Kingdom of God and peace from the pulpit? It is truly a shame that most Methodists and Church of Christ / Christian Church pastors have abdicated their roots, as John Wesley, Alexander Campbell, Barton Stone, Dwight Moody, and even the Calvinist Charles Spurgeon, were adamant opponents of Christians participating in the military. I would greatly appreciate any help that might be given in helping me to find sermons from God sent messengers.

Thank you,

Ron

TheEditor

Re: Preachers who do not advocate war from the pulpit

Post by TheEditor » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi Ron,

The flip answer would be "Don't hold your breath". It seems to me that Christianity in America at least, for the most part has become an amalgam of religion and State, both of the worst parts of human tribalism blended into one. Although they would disagree with the statement, I think American Christians (at least of the conservative variety) see America as some kind of quasi divinely led entity that has God's special hand of blessing on it. I personally am glad to have a pluralistic society here, and I am glad that we have certain freedoms. But I also recognize that God isn't manning the helm of this country any more than He is of any other. The history of Western Orthodoxy is an interesting one. I'm not sure if anyone has done an exhaustive study to date. I would be interested to know.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:02 am

Greg Boyd might be the most well-known vocal evangelical 'peacemaker' preacher

Bruxy Cavey (Canada) is also good (he and greg boyd seem to be close friends).

Both have tons of sermons online and preach on non-violence often

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:51 am

I feel your frustration. Did we attain the freedoms we enjoy by the grace of God or by our works of military might? If by our own works then we'd better keep fightn' but if by the grace of God then our freedom(s) will remain as long as God desires it to be so. No bloodshed required.

I would also agree with Matt Rose's mentioning of Bruxy Cavey and Greg Boyd on this issue.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:45 am

You may want to read "My Religion" written by Leo Tolstoy after his regeneration at the age of 51. In this book Tolstoy tells what it means in practical terms to follow the Law of Christ as Jesus expressed it in “The Sermon on the Mount” and elsewhere. He discusses how the main church finds Christ's teaching "the ideal" but impractical, and how they make Christ's teaching of none effect whereas the law of Christ is the only answer to mankind's woes.

You can get it free for kindle as well as other formats at the following site:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43794
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:23 pm

rcassell wrote:I have been looking for months for preachers to listen to sermons by, who do not advocate war from the pulpit.
Hi, Ron.

I don't know that I've ever heard a preacher advocate war, certainly not from the pulpit, anyway. Are these well known men? What sort of replies do you get, if any?
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

schoel

Post by schoel » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:52 pm

TheEditor wrote:t seems to me that Christianity in America at least, for the most part has become an amalgam of religion and State, both of the worst parts of human tribalism blended into one.
Agreed, although this unholy alliance has been going on for a long time:

See Mark Twain's short essay The War Prayer

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi Schoel,

Thanks for the Twain story. Of course it is true that church/State has been around for centuries. I was thinking mainly of the type of Western Christianity now that at least pretends to a vigorous adherence to God's ways, as long as those ways include thinking that this country is right in every endeavor, as long as those endeavors be Republican. And NO I am not a liberal. I try to stay out of politics as much as possible. But it seems that most of the churches in the States that espouse a respect for the Scriptures and a high level of morality ALSO are desirous of seeing a Theocratic Geneva in the USA.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

schoel

Post by schoel » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Brenden -

I was by no means attempting to correct you, but to communicate that the alliance between Christianity and the state, particularly regarding warfare, goes back at least to the War of Northern Aggression and perhaps even farther.
TheEditor wrote:Thanks for the Twain story. Of course it is true that church/State has been around for centuries. I was thinking mainly of the type of Western Christianity now that at least pretends to a vigorous adherence to God's ways, as long as those ways include thinking that this country is right in every endeavor, as long as those endeavors be Republican. And NO I am not a liberal. I try to stay out of politics as much as possible. But it seems that most of the churches in the States that espouse a respect for the Scriptures and a high level of morality ALSO are desirous of seeing a Theocratic Geneva in the USA.
Nail on the head, my friend.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:58 pm

No need to apologize for correcting me (not that I felt that you were). I need all the correction I can get! Or so my wife tells me.... :D

Regards, Brenden.

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”