purpose driven life

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:39 am

We've been to Saddleback a few times (my husband's parents live out there) and from what we've seen the spiritual depth has been minimal. Maybe it's changed in the couple of years since we've been there -- but it's not a place I would feel comfortable recommending people to.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:36 pm

I don't have an opinion about either the book or the church...but when you say that you've been to that church and the spiritual depth seems minimal, do you mean that the sermons lacked depth, or that the people you met seemed shallow, or a combination of those things?

And by the way, Rae, how are you and your new baby doing?
Reason:

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:45 pm

I've read and heard Warren quite a bit

I don't get shallow

I get the impression that he's incredibly deep....SO DEEP, in fact, that he's able to write/speak the deep truths of Scripture in terms even a child can understand.

Some call that shallow, I call that his job.
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:57 am

thanks for your comment Mattrose.
It seems most people didn't like the bible translation he used.
Reason:

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:32 am

Michelle,

It was just the typical "seeker sensitive" atmosphere -- the songs were all about us and the sermons were typical give good advice about how to live our lives (if you've seen any Lakewood Church sermons, kind of the same thing... a little better than Lakewood though). Maybe the sermons were just like this on the occasions that we went... I don't know, that's just what I observed.

Myself and Jacob are doing very well. I only feel a little bit of discomfort (and only when I think about it) from the C-section. It's interesting -- the baby part is really easy this time (I guess because I know the different things to try now)... the hard part is dealing with a three year old while dealing with the baby. But, I hear that two is the hardest (I guess why many stop after two) so I'm looking forward to seeing how the dynamic will change with more. :)
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_Benjamin Ho

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:27 am

I found this interview/Q&A on the Internet. From his answers, Rick Warren is quite a humble man in spite of his fame.
[BTW, I haven't read his book either.]

=========

http://pewforum.org/events/print.php?EventID=80

Discussion
Myths of the Modern Mega-Church
Monday, May 23, 2005
Pier House Resort, Key West, Florida

Some of the nation's leading journalists gathered in Key West, Florida, in May 2005 for the Pew Forum's biannual Faith Angle conference on religion, politics and public life. Conference speaker Rick Warren, pastor of the largest church in America, addressed misconceptions many Americans have about mega-churches. He also discussed his best-selling book, The Purpose Driven Life, as well as current trends in the evangelical movement, the work his church is doing for AIDS and poverty relief in Africa, and some of his views on hot-button political and cultural issues.
Reason:

_DerekC

Purpose Driven Life

Post by _DerekC » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:55 am

The church I attend went through this book last year as a congregation. I barely made it through two weeks before I could read no more. I was rather dumbfounded at the positive reaction within the church. The leaders in the church have just recently gone through The Purpose Driven Church and that is all you hear. Rick Warren says this and Rick Warren says that. I find it all rather disgusting.
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:58 pm

If only the Bible were esteemed so high. I would love it if the Church would just teach the Bible. What an impact it would make if people would get excited about that.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:38 pm

Sean,

Amen & amen. Verse by verse teaching is very good; nothing avoided or left out!

Blessings, Homer
Reason:
A Berean

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”