Any lectures about the "Hyper Grace" movement?

NebraskaMike

Any lectures about the "Hyper Grace" movement?

Post by NebraskaMike » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:42 pm

I skimmed through Steve's topical lectures, but wasnt sure that I saw something that addressed the topic of "Hyper Grace" directly. But maybe it is addressed indirectly. The term is usually used by it's critics. Anything you dont agree with, just make it sound "extreme" by adding the pejorative term "hyper" to it. I think it's adherents would describe it as an emphasis on the saving grace of Jesus versus "performance-based religion" (better make sure you are doing enough good works or God is gonna change his mind and you'll lose your salvation).

mattrose

Re: Any lectures about the "Hyper Grace" movement?

Post by mattrose » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:52 pm

I don't think you can ever have too much grace in theology (soteriology)

But you could misunderstand grace

You could think that grace is a license to sin rather than recognizing that the purpose of grace is to enable you not to sin

So I think any 'movement' that spoke of grace in such a way (taking sin lightly) wouldn't actually be a 'hyper' grace movement but a 'flawed' grace movement.

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks mattrose. That is a good way to understand it. For 3 or 4 years now, I have been in the camp of the "grace-based" ministries. I've read the critics saying, "Beware, it is just a license to sin!". And I guess that could happen depending on how one approaches the issue of grace. I can honestly say, in the last few years, I have grown closer to Jesus and made BIG strides in being a follower of Christ, cultivating my Christian character, just really changed as a person. More so in the last few years than I did in the previous 20 as a Christian. After knowing this whole "grace thing"better, it has made me so appreciative of His grace toward us. I now demonstrate it to those around me (and it has made me know and love our Savior even more).

john6809

Post by john6809 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:25 pm

Hey Nebraskamike, not sure if Steve speaks directly to the hyper grace thing but lecture 8 in his Kingdom of God series is titled, "Kingdom of Grace." One of my favourites from that series. God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior." - John Newton

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks John6809, I will check it out!

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:04 pm

John6809, The "Kingdom of Grace" lecture (part 8 of the Kingdom of God series) you suggested definitely tackles this topic directly. Thank you. Maybe it doesnt address the movement, but the principles behind it. I will have to give it a second listen because I tried to listen while I was working today and this (like most of Steve's lectures) deserves my full attention!

john6809

Post by john6809 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:01 am

I agree Nebraskamike! Sometimes I enjoy just listening while I'm working around the house. Other times, I gotta sit and pay attention. That whole series is my favourite topical lecture series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior." - John Newton

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:46 pm

When you are so aware of the love of God, you don't want to do any of those foolish things that make your life of no effect. It is the love of God that constrains me, not fear of punishment.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Jepne and John6809, I agree! By the way, I am really enjoying this Kingdom of God lecture series. Listened to the 8th lecture (Kingdom of Grace) and liked it so much, I have started at the beginning with the first one and think Ill try and work my way through them all. Good and enriching stuff!

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”