Brother Yun's Book

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Sun May 28, 2006 10:45 pm

So I'm through 8 chapters now, and here's my question for those who read or are reading this book:

How has Brother Yun's testimony impacted or changed your walk with Christ?

I'm finding myself overwhelmed with his commitment to following Jesus through anything and how radically different his life is from my comfortable, American suburbia. And I ask myself,
"Am I too comfortable?"
"Why doesn't my life resemble that?"
"Am I on a path of mediocrity?"

Hard questions and no easy answers.
God help me.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_JC

Post by _JC » Tue May 30, 2006 8:07 am

Yun's book impacted me in several ways. First, it made me feel very guilty that I have a cushy job in a free country. This was a good thing and I'll be re-reading the book again soon as a "kick in the pants." Secondly, it changed my view of modern miracles. I now believe the miracles recorded in the book of Acts, for example, are quite common in third world countries and places with intense persecution.

After reading this book I also realized how important prayer is in getting things accomplished. All Christians know we're supposed to pray but Yun talks about praying all day and night for weeks when speaking about his spiritual family. He also made a funny (though serious) comment on American pastors. Yun said the American missionaries could only preach for a couple hours before running out of things to say so they stopped inviting them to gatherings. The Chinese "pastors" could go on for days without stopping. Something tells me they'd like Steve Gregg.
Reason:

_Ely

Post by _Ely » Tue May 30, 2006 8:35 am

The Chinese "pastors" could go on for days without stopping. Something tells me they'd like Steve Gregg.
:shock: :lol:
Reason:
"Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Christ Jesus" Titus 2:13
www.lasttrumpet.com
www.pfrs.org

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:40 am

Thanks for mentioning this book. I just got through it and am very glad to hear of all the great things God is doing! It's nice to hear that the homechurches throughout China are striving to work together instead of staying divided up in denominations. I pray this can happen here, although I think it will take persecution to make it happen.

About them being able to preach for hours and hours, I often wonder why people at my bible study (and church for that matter) often go off into current events in their life and the bible seems to slowly get edged out of the conversation. It would be a great thing to witness people actually being that hungry for the word that they want to listen/talk about it for hours! So while it is amazing that they speak so long, I'm even more stunned at the hunger of the sheep!

Thanks again for mentioning this book, it been a real blessing!
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:10 am

Sean wrote:...So while it is amazing that they speak so long, I'm even more stunned at the hunger of the sheep!...
No kidding! Have you ever felt the congregation getting bored? After only 20 minutes?! I think it has to do with the persecution and the fact that the Bible is scarce; like when your favorite food is unavailable, you suddenly crave it more than ever.

It's been two weeks since I read the book and I'm still reeling.
Reason:

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:26 pm

Michelle wrote:
Have you ever felt the congregation getting bored? After only 20 minutes?! I think it has to do with the persecution and the fact that the Bible is scarce; like when your favorite food is unavailable, you suddenly crave it more than ever.
In our case, isn't it likely to depend on a speaker having the gift of teaching? When I have heard Steve speak, close to two hours seems like 30 minutes, and with no jokes, prancing around, and exagerated gestures. He doesn't need them. Some speak for 30 minutes and it seems like a looooong time.
Reason:
A Berean

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Homer wrote:Michelle wrote:
Have you ever felt the congregation getting bored? After only 20 minutes?! I think it has to do with the persecution and the fact that the Bible is scarce; like when your favorite food is unavailable, you suddenly crave it more than ever.
In our case, isn't it likely to depend on a speaker having the gift of teaching? When I have heard Steve speak, close to two hours seems like 30 minutes, and with no jokes, prancing around, and exagerated gestures. He doesn't need them. Some speak for 30 minutes and it seems like a looooong time.
That's a good point, Homer. It's true, when I listen to Steve's lectures the time does seem to fly by. I usually want to hear more, too.
Reason:

_Royal Oddball 2:9

Post by _Royal Oddball 2:9 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:08 pm

I read this book! I also bought its companion novel, Back to Jerusalem, about the Chinese Church's mission to evangelize the land all the way from China to Jerusalem (wish some of 'em would come here too!) and hope to read it sometime this summer.

After reading that book, I had one guy remark to me that he's praying the American church would experience similar persecution so we could see the kind of moves of God the Chinese are seeing. I can't say I blame him for that.
Reason:
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light. I Peter 2:9

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:23 pm

Homer wrote: In our case, isn't it likely to depend on a speaker having the gift of teaching? When I have heard Steve speak, close to two hours seems like 30 minutes, and with no jokes, prancing around, and exagerated gestures. He doesn't need them.
I also agree, I can listen to Steve or any other good bible teacher (or an audio bible for that matter) for hours and hours without wanting to stop. I used to try and get others I know to do the same, but they just don't seem interested in spending that much time hearing the word of God. :(

I honestly would like to know what non-charismatic churches do with a book like brother Yun's?
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:31 am

I finally finished the book a few days ago.
Here are my thoughts:

It is both encouraging and convicting to know that there are believers like Brother Yun in the world. I'm encouraged to find those that consider themselves nothing for the sake of Christ. I'm convicted to find a lack of that fervency for Christ in my life.

When I'm spending time with my kids and wife, I feel both blessed and guilty as there are many brothers and sisters in Christ who have had to lay that down for the sake of Christ. I find myself lifting a silent prayer to God for those who suffer in this manner.

I need to be serious about praying for revival in America. And not the false, feel-good, "bless me" kind but true repentance of sin and a wholistic commitment to follow Christ.

I long to see people hungry to know God and to follow Jesus, before conversion and after.

Could God be moving his church worldwide to focus on the 10/40 window? Is that the final frontier for the gospel?

I'm now serious about and committed to fasting and scripture memorization.
Reason:

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”