Musings from the Philippines

_JC

Musings from the Philippines

Post by _JC » Fri May 30, 2008 3:01 pm

Ladies and gents, I had a rough May. My wife and I recently returned from spending 3 weeks in the harsh South Asian heat with nary an A.C. in sight. My wife had the misfortune of traveling with a white dude (me) so we got shaken down everywhere, from taxi drivers to the five year old street kid that flagged the taxi down for us. People would just grab our bags or luggage, move it a few feet toward the curb, then extend their hand for money. I had to literally chase one guy down because I didn't have any cash on hand and I didn't need my bag moved.

At one point, a homeless man jumped into the front of our taxi and refused to leave, even after exchanging sharp words with the driver. The thought crossed my mind that we may very well get stabbed to death. My wife, apparantly used to this sort of thing, looked rather bored during the ordeal. Finally the driver conceded and handed the guy a few coins to leave us alone, which he did. Later on, after refusing to give an 8-year old street kid some change (we didn't have any) at a stop light, he punched our window as hard as he could.

To add insult to much injury, our bank cut us off from our account within days of arriving. This was a sore point for me because I specifically called them beforehand and let them know I'd be traveling overseas and instructed them not to cut off our funding for any reason whatsoever. Well, to make a long story short we had no money for two weeks and even had to borrow cash from the poor people we were there to help. It was a sad state of affairs.

I say all that to say this: I experienced a number of trials this month and failed quite a few tests... some of them very badly. Our faith can not be grounded in the theoretical. While I enjoy a good theological jousting from time to time, the issues of Calvinism or eternal security never crossed my mind when I was confronted with these challenges. However, the words of Jesus rang in my ear quite often when Murphy's Law was strangling the life out of me. Being broke, tired, cheated, and jet-lagged in a place where the language is foriegn and kids sleep under the overpass will take its toll.

When we got back to my little air conditioned house in the States it felt like walking into the Bellagio. Looking back on my experience, I'm proud of the way I handled certain things and deelpy ashamed of those times I lost my cool mentally. God has a way of slapping you in the face when you get too comfortable. Visiting the Philippines, where even the wealthy sleep under a tin roof and college graduates battle for a clean-up crew position at McDonalds, has greatly reshaped my thinking, and my Christian life. I hope I don't get too comfortable again. God bless my wife for being so patient with her spoiled, gringo husband. :)
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Fri May 30, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks so much, gringo husband! A most interesting and informative account!
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

Return to “Essays and Writings”