Late Textual Tradition? Or Early Manuscripts?

In your opinion, which Greek NT editions are closest to the original?

Total votes: 0

steve7150

Re: Late Textual Tradition? Or Early Manuscripts?

Post by steve7150 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:36 pm

Ahem – “the NT writers” are not Jesus. When are you thinking of Jesus “rifl[ing] through the so called jewish mailbox and attribut[ing] God's word to everyone [sic]”?

I think Jesus claimed to be the "Lord" in "my Lord" in Psalm 110. He claimed to be "the Son of the living God" when he commended Peter for having this revealed to him by God. He told the women at the well"I am He" meaning the messiah. He claimed he would rise on the third day , fulfilling Isa 53 where it says he would know his decendents even though he would be cut off or killed. He started his ministry by quoting Isa 66 where he said he came to set the captives free. He quoted Deut when asked which was the most important commandment "Love the Lord" instead of listing the 10 commandments, he claimed to be Lord of the Sabbath and said it was lawful to do good on the Sabbath implying it was no diifferent then any other day. He transformed some OT laws in the Sermon on the Mount like "love your enemies."

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:50 pm

On one hand - how have you "tested the claims of the NT"?

On another hand - your statement amounts to another appeal to authority. Do you have a substantial argument against my hermeneutical stance (tinted in purple in the box above)? Or do you only have an appeal to precedent in the NT?

Your hermeneutical stance may be conservative but it is very limited IMO and makes no sense to me as the final revelation God would give to humanity. Therefore the fact that the NT authors claim fulfillment in Jesus which then broadens the revelation to the whole world makes sense to me. Obviously the integrity of these claims had to be judged , one by one which i am not going to do in this post because there are hundreds.
With regards to the gospel message spreading slowly, i previously said that God gave man dominion over this world otherwise you might see angels preaching the gospel which would be much more efficient but would violate God's word in giving this authority to man. IMO everyone will hear the gospel, either in this life or in the lake of fire or in a dream but everyone will hear it.

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun May 02, 2010 10:55 pm

steve7150 wrote:
Your hermeneutical stance may be conservative but it is very limited IMO and makes no sense to me as the final revelation God would give to humanity.
:arrow: One should not choose a hermeneutical stance in order to yield a desired theology. One should choose a hermeneutical stance based on its methodological merits. Then one may turn to see what sort of theology it yields.

If one selects an interpretive method in order to engineer a particular result, then what value is there to the process of interpretation? It is a farce: interpretive means are merely a convenient contrivance, when one has predetermined an interpretive end.

:arrow: Beyond this, on what basis should one imagine any biblical text to be "the final revelation God would give to humanity"?
steve7150 wrote:
Therefore the fact that the NT authors claim fulfillment in Jesus which then broadens the revelation to the whole world makes sense to me. Obviously the integrity of these claims had to be judged , one by one which i am not going to do in this post because there are hundreds.
:arrow: Am I to understand, then, that you have judged the integrity of "hundreds" of these claims, "one by one"?

:arrow: It is not necessary to resort to Christianity in order to make the unembroidered Jewish tradition relevant to the whole world. Your bible has Moses saying: "See, I have taught you statutes and rules, as the Lord my God commanded me, that you should do them in the land that you are entering to take possession of it. Keep them and do them, for that will be your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, 'Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.' For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as the Lord our God is to us, whenever we call upon him? And what great nation is there, that has statutes and rules so righteous as all this law that I set before you today?"

Faithful practice of the "limited" tradition is sufficient to enlighten the non-Jewish world. It does not need a mythopoeic makeover to become relevant.
steve7150 wrote:
With regards to the gospel message spreading slowly, i previously said that God gave man dominion over this world otherwise you might see angels preaching the gospel which would be much more efficient but would violate God's word in giving this authority to man. IMO everyone will hear the gospel, either in this life or in the lake of fire or in a dream but everyone will hear it.
:arrow: Preaching by angels would not violate G-d’s word. Human dominion is not exclusive, and does not supersede divine dominion over both the earth and humanity. You shouldn’t beat that sorry horse.

:arrow: It is rather a convenient "out" that you have here. But whatever shortcoming you see in my "limited" hermeneutic - couldn't it be compensated for in an afterlife, or in a dream?
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Suzana wrote:I was under the impression that (in English at least) the word "maiden" is a synonym, and implies virginity anyway; perhaps that's also the case in Hebrew with the Masoretic text?
"Maiden" does not necessarily imply virginity. Dictionaries give the meaning of "maiden" as "young woman".

In discussing the prophecy of Isaiah concerning the birth of Christ "Yahweh will give you a sign: a virgin shall conceive...", Trypho ( a Jewish man) affirmed that the word was "young woman" and not "virgin". To which Justin Martyr responded, "In what way would it be a sign that a young woman shall conceive? That is happening every day!" [quoted from memory from "Dialogue With Trypho", and so may not be an exact quote]
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Essays and Writings”