Exodus 1-6 and Standing Up for What's Right

_Damon

Exodus 1-6 and Standing Up for What's Right

Post by _Damon » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:43 pm

It's me again. :D

Sometimes I visit the local Jewish synagogue on Saturdays for their "Torah study." I'm not Jewish, although I do have some Jewish ancestry. I find their bible study often insightful and refreshing, and as I've said before, I enjoy hearing different perspectives on things. I wanted to share something that I thought was very profound with the forum here.

The Jews have a yearly reading cycle for the first five books of the bible. Starting with the Jewish Civil New Year in September/October (the Jews actually have two separate new year observances, one in the spring and one in the fall), they begin reading in Genesis and progress through the end of Deuteronomy during the course of the year.

Today, we studied Parsha Shemot, meaning "Portion 'Names'." It's named after the beginning of this portion of the bible, from Exodus 1:1: "Now these are the names..." It encompasses the story of how the Israelites stayed in Egypt and became enslaved all the way through Moses' first meeting with Pharaoh.

Can you imagine yourself as living in slavery in Egypt, and what it must have been like? Your life isn't your own. Day in and day out, all you ever have to look forward to is meaningless drudgery. You might have some idealistic hope that someday, maybe things will change for the better, but the likelihood is that things never will change.

Moses was born into this situation, although he didn't grow up in it. Fortunately, he grew up in the Pharaoh's own household. He didn't have to endure slavery and hardship. Nevertheless...and here's the extraordinary part...he was sensitive to it, even though his own life was much more comfortable. He knew that the Israelites were being mistreated. He knew how miserable they were. He knew of God at that point in time, as a young man, but he couldn't bring himself to believe in a God who would allow such terrible circumstances to go on...and on...and on.

By the way, I'm not just guessing about this. Try talking to a Holocaust survivor sometime. Believing in God when things are that bad is pretty hard.

Moses murdered the Egyptian taskmaster because he didn't believe in a higher power who could bring justice, so he took matters into his own hands. (It says in Exodus 2:12 that Moses looked around and saw that there was "no man," which is a Hebrew idiom for no one to dispense right judgment.) Later on in the story, we find that his son Gershom who had been born in Midian wasn't circumcised, so he wasn't technically part of the congregation of Israel. Why not? Because circumcision was, in part, a sign of submission to God, binding oneself to a covenant with Him. Moses couldn't submit to God on account of the Israelites' suffering. Until God did something about it, Moses wasn't about to put his trust in God. It's not that Moses hated God, but he needed a pretty good reason to believe in Him and trust in Him.

When Moses turned aside to see the burning bush, it was then that God called out to him. Why is this?

The angel in the burning bush was symbolic of Moses and his circumstances. The bush represented the people of Israel. The burning fire was the presence of God dwelling upon Israel. The angel represented Moses. If it weren't for the angel, the bush would have been consumed. If not for Moses, the Israelites would be destroyed. (Compare Ps. 106:23; Num. 14:1-21.)

When Moses approached the burning bush, God began by answering Moses' concerns even before Moses had voiced them. "I have truly seen the affliction of My people who are in Egypt, and have heard their pleas because of their taskmasters. I know their sorrows." God answered this way because Moses' heart went out to the Israelites in slavery. Moses had thought to himself - as many of us do when we're confronted with horrific circumstances (like the tsunamis in Asia, for instance) - if God exists, why isn't He concerned with the suffering in the world?

God's answer was "I AM THAT I AM." I do exist! And I am concerned.

Moses had felt powerless to do anything about the plight of the Israelites in slavery. After all, what was one man against all of Egypt? But the lesson was that we should not be afraid to stand up for what's right, no matter how impossible the circumstances might seem. It's in being willing to stand up for what's right that God manifests Himself to us.

Damon
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Anonymous

standing up for whats right

Post by _Anonymous » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:28 pm

thank you for a good message Damon.

I am involved in a bad situation in my marriage,
I cannot stand for whats right because its biblically not GODS
will. Not always so easy!
Reason:

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:35 pm

Hmm?

Umm...would you feel comfortable giving more details? You can email me privately if you'd like.

Damon
Reason:

_Anonymous

standing up for what is right

Post by _Anonymous » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:03 pm

I am writing under a different name. Too many people know me
and my husbands cover of being a quiet wonderful christian may be exposed but in the end GOD knows the truth. Until then I must endure his insults, belittling and acts of unkindness. Thank you for what you wrote and GOD is truly working in each of us to the best. Guess I needed to "vomit some truth and after all the church doesnt want to hear it,
they just pass it on saying, "another unstable wife" these men will answer
if they dont repent, GOD loves justice and mercy.
I wont answer or comment on this site again.

thank you
Reason:

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:14 am

Hmm.

I would ask you to seriously consider emailing me privately, then. I know of several people who are going through very similar circumstances to what you've described. I personally know a lady who had to endure being ridiculed because people thought she had a problem, rather than her "picture perfect" husband.

Understand, we're not in this world to be a punching bag or a doormat. If a person publicly shows one face but privately shows a very different one, then they have the problem, not you. Nothing can be worth being verbally (or even physically) abused and humiliated. It sounds like your husband has a serious problem with emotional maturity. Trust me, I know the type quite well.

The question you must ask yourself is this: what is the BEST solution you can come up with for all concerned? For yourself, your husband, any children which might be involved, and etc.? As a suggestion, temporary separation might be a good idea for the short term. Any solution will still have to come from love, not bitterness or hatred - no matter how much the other person might deserve it.

Finally, I want to point out that because powerful men have abdicated their responsibility for standing up for what's right, others who cannot defend themselves are condemned to suffer. The traumatized spouse. The widow. The orphan. And so on. The one thing God detests the most in this world is cowardice to stand up for what's right, and that's a fact.

Damon
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:01 pm

Damon wrote:Hmm.
Nothing can be worth being verbally (or even physically) abused and humiliated.
Really? Jesus went through this, even though He didn't deserve it. He didn't say "I am the Son of God and deserve better!" Instead He said "Not my will but Thine be done".

Luke 24:26 "Ought not the Christ to have suffered these things and to enter into His glory?"

1 Peter 2:18 Servants, be submissive to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the harsh. 19 For this is commendable, if because of conscience toward God one endures grief, suffering wrongfully. 20 For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God. 21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:20 pm

Ack! Gentile mentality strikes again!!

Jesus could have very easily stood up for what was right, but He deliberately allowed Himself to be murdered for a greater purpose. What was that purpose? Go back to Isaiah 53 and look. It was because by allowing the pain and humiliation, He would "sprinkle many." Physically speaking, His death would serve as a catalyst to help others. Spiritually speaking, His death provided for forgiveness of sins for all.

Here's a question for you. Would staying in an abusive relationship provide a catalyst to help the abusive husband, the children, or others who may be involved? Or, would it be better to at least temporarily separate (1 Cor. 6:10-11)? Would that be best for all concerned?

The answer truly depends on the circumstances, and on the emotional fortitude of the wife in question. Never forget that we're called to love others AS ourselves. Not MORE than ourselves, and not LESS.

Don't put the onus on the wife if she doesn't have tremendous emotional fortitude to endure what her abusive husband is dishing out. YOU DON'T WALK IN HER SHOES, so don't try to pretend that you do. Unless you truly know what it's like, it's highly inappropriate for you to pass judgment on her.

Damon
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:53 am

HI here is a great verse.

Daniel 12:10

Many shall be purified made white and refined,
but the wicked shall do wickedly;
and none of the wicked shall understand, but the wise shall understand.

Many shall be purified, made white.
suffering will refine the righteous, but the wicked will continue in their evil.

If GOD be for us who can be against us.

Husbands, likewise, dwell with them (wife) with understanding,
giving honor to the wife, as to the WEAKER vessel

one concordance says shes physically weaker......

Wives be submissive to your own husband and then it goes on about if he does not obey the word.

Finally be of one mind having compassion on one another, be tenderhearted, courteous, not returning evil for evil or reviling but blessing!

A marriage HAS to work if the two are being thoughtful and doing
what the above scriptures say.......... If two are born again christians.
Reason:

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:08 am

Ideally speaking, yes it should work. But understand, oftentimes people who claim to be Christian - meaning that they're supposed to be overcomers - aren't willing to see themselves for who they really are. When they're told that they're being insensitive in some way, they don't listen. And naturally, they won't overcome.

I strongly suspect that that's what's going on here. The husband is emotionally immature and won't overcome his insensitive behavior towards his wife. I've seen marriage situations just like this a number of times.

Damon
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:45 am

Amen! Very true

Can you comment and use some analogies on your first comment on this site Damon, Im a bit slow!
Reason:

Return to “Essays and Writings”