Dis-Hastening?

_mattrose

Dis-Hastening?

Post by _mattrose » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:04 pm

I just finished a very informative book about dispensationalists and their thoughts about (and even influence on) the future. It is my belief that this eschatological view has an inherent pessimism which limits the motivation of its adherents to make a positive impact in the physical realm.

Over the past few years I've been frightened by the reaction of ardent dispy's to bad news. To a large degree, they like it! And why wouldn't they? Bad news, for them, just means the rapture is right around the corner. For example, ever heard of the rapture index? It's a website that ranks how bad the world is using 45 categories of badness. If the world is really bad, the score is really high. Right now the score is 156 which means we should 'fasten our seat belts' and get ready for an exciting ride.

Built into this system of thought is the idea that we, as Christians, are just trying to 'hold-on' until Jesus takes us out of the worsening world. Before that day comes it's good to tell people about Jesus, but why try (for instance) to establish peace in the middle east when Armageddon is inevitable? Why not leave those left behind to deal with the messes they've made?

But what if they're wrong? What if a 19th century invention is just a 19th century invention? What if a third of America's 50 million evangelicals have un-necessarily given up on increasing the size of God's government here on earth just because they don't think it's the right era to do so? What if Christ isn't waiting for the "world" to get worse to provoke His return? What if He's waiting for the "church" to get bigger and better?

It's amazing what a change of focus can do. Since I left the dispensationalist camp, my hope in the church and in God's activity in this world have increased dramatically. Scripture has given me this hope.

Ephesians 4:11-13
It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Those verses, along with others, make me think that the Lord is waiting for 2 things before He returns: An increase in the QUALITY & QUANTITY of the church. In fact, Peter uses a very interesting phrase a few verses later. He says that by living holy and godly lives we can actually speed the coming of that great day!

It's not bad news that provokes the 2nd Coming, it's good news. It's not 'holding-on' that hastens the return of Christ, it's 'growing-up'. It's not giving up on God's world that shows we're ready to see our Savior, it's impacting His world that impresses Him.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:33 pm

Mattrose~ I like this article. Thanks for putting it up here.
Reason:

_JD

Post by _JD » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:10 pm

Good stuff, bro. I was thinking the same things last night. National teen crime stats have trended downward for over a decade. Where I live, we have some of the lowest rates in 40 years. I culled the info from the Department of Justice. Is this good news to dispensationalists?

Also, for all the misinformation about natural disasters and pestilences, there are more powerful nods to the the advancement in medicine. Think of the things people don't die of anymore, opposed to 100 years ago. Is this good news to the dispensationalists?

A workable peace plan in the Middle East, is that good news to the dispensationalists? Maybe, because in their view, it means the antichrist has brokered it.

I've been more proactive in doing good, simple things for sinners than when I was evangelizing only, and waiting on the rapture. Personally, I have more compassion on sinners now, than when I was wrapped up in dispensationalism.

I don't think the two are unrelated.

Regards,
JD
Reason:

Return to “Essays and Writings”