What letter is it?

dolphin

What letter is it?

Post by dolphin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi all,

Around minute 67 of Steve's lecture "The Spread of Anabaptism Part 2" from the Church History series, he mentions a letter written by a woman who had written a letter to her baby prior to her being martyred. Unfortunately, he didn't have the letter with him to read. I am dieing to know what it says. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this letter?

Thanks for your help,
Dolphin

steve

Re: What letter is it?

Post by steve » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:04 pm

This might be it:

This is a prison letter from Elizabeth, a Dutch Anabaptist martyr. She wrote it before her execution in 1573 to her infant daughter whom she calls “my dearest lamb”:

“My young lamb, for whose sake I still have…great sorrow; seek, when you have attained your understanding, this narrow way, though there is sometimes much danger in it…. My dear child, if we would with Christ seek and inherit salvation, we must also help bear His cross; and this is the cross which He would have us bear: to follow His footsteps, and to help bear His reproach… He went before us in this way of reproach, and left us an example, that we should follow His steps… O my dearest lamb, that you might know the truth when you have attained your understanding, and that you might follow your dear father and mother, who went before you…. Follow us my dear lamb, that you too may come where we shall be, and that we may find one another there.” (from The Protestant Reformation, ed. by Hans J. Hillerbrand, chapter 14).

Though I originally got it out of a book (if this is the same one), this excerpt was found at http://anabaptistexchange.org/node/23

dolphin

Re: What letter is it?

Post by dolphin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 pm

I do believe that is what I was looking for! Thanks a bunch Steve!

Return to “Church History”