The amazing Blumhardts

selah

Re: The amazing Blumhardts

Post by selah » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:46 pm

Jason wrote:I also can't think of any bible verses that would contradict his findings.
I can't either.

I tried to download this as a pdf file because I'm going into the hills tonight and won't have Internet access with my CricKet card up there. I had plans to read the entire book there, but since this seems unlikely now, so I just read enough to know what this book is about.

I have thought many times about illness and its relationship to evil and prayed about it less than I probably should have. Perhaps I have been one who would rather walk ten hours than to kneel humbly. (I read that in the book but don't know where to reference it.) Anyway, the Lord is teaching me to allow Him to LEAD. We are His sheep, not to act and expect Him to bless our actions. So in preparation for today, I ask, have I prayed enough? Is He LEADING me? Am I following HIM or am I expecting Him to follow me with blessings? (Surely goodness and mercy shall follow you all the days of your life and you will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (paraphrased from Ps. 23) Am I hearing Him correctly? Is there still time to change the course of my day (through my choices)?

One thing I know is that today is a significant day for me, but now I think every day is for all of us, but...I'll speak for me, I don't always recognize the significance in each "normal" day. Today I think I'm getting a glimpse of God's significant, yet undiscernable presense in an ordinary day.

This is a good book; I look forward to reading the whole thing.
8-)
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 pm

selah wrote: ....rather than me focussing my prayers on the desired healing, I read this now to encourage my focus to be on the One Who Heals.

today is a significant day for me,....
I don't think there's anything wrong with praying for healing, (but I don't think you were saying that); we just need to have a balanced attitude I think, that God's will is done His way and in every circumstance.
Praying for you today Selah.
Suzana

selah

Post by selah » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Suzana wrote:
selah wrote: ....rather than me focussing my prayers on the desired healing, I read this now to encourage my focus to be on the One Who Heals.

today is a significant day for me,....
I don't think there's anything wrong with praying for healing, (but I don't think you were saying that); we just need to have a balanced attitude I think, that God's will is done His way and in every circumstance.
Praying for you today Selah.
Yes, I agree with you. Suzana.

I was sharing with a sister earlier today that sometimes I notice a "tension" within, where I ask, "Am I enough?" balanced between knowing that "God is our portion!"

Today, I'm looking for the balance within the tension. ;)

Thank you for your prayers, Suzana, and likewise for you.
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

TK

Post by TK » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:05 pm

Jason wrote:I read the first 50 pages of The Awakening last night and it really threw me for a loop. Not only is the account of the two year battle sobering, to say the least, but Blumhardt's insight on demons (which, I assume, he gained from the experience) was startling. I will say that Blumhardt's account of the events rings authentic for me (especially since he was consistenly surprised himself) and has thrown a monkey wrench into my theology! I also can't think of any bible verses that would contradict his findings.
I just read the first section of the book- "The Battle." I am going to read the edited version of "Blumhardt's Battle" that Suzana referenced above.

Jason- I assume you are talking about Blumhardt's belief that at least some of the "demons" inhabiting/tormenting Gotlieben were departed HUMAN spirits who had not found rest because of practices they had been involved in while alive, perhaps in ignorance-- and that Blumhardt seemed to believe that perhaps these departed souls were not necessarily going to end up in hell, and perhaps could be "liberated."

Of course, this does go against traditional evangelical theology-- but it seems to make sense in light of all that we hear about "ghosts" and "hauntings." How often do we hear Christians say something along the lines of-- "I don't believe there are such things as ghosts, but perhaps demons impersonate departed human beings." Well, Blumhardt, based on his experience, seems to have believe that the demons WERE departed human spirits, not merely "something else" imitating departed human beings.

I was wondering what others think about this. Was Blumhardt merely mistaken? Could he have been right? If he WAS right, what does this do to traditional evangelical theology? And what, if anything, does it do to support the idea of Universal Reconciliation?

TK

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:06 pm

TK, I should warn you that the link I posted is actually far more graphic and detailed than the Awakening.

I was also startled when I realized how Blumhardt regarded the demons as being departed human spirits, and to tell the truth, don't know what to think.

This is a cautioning quote of Blumhardt pertaining to some possible consequences:

"I do want to add to this that neither the dogma of purgatory nor the dogma of prayer for the dead are confirmed by the above in any way. The latter is so dangerous that I do want to warn every man of it in all serious­ness. The most devastating effects from the unseen world can be the consequence of it."

He also details some interesting seeming correlation of demonic activities relating to earthqakes in some areas, and fires in the town, and the spiritual battle he was involved in.
Very unsettling.
Suzana

Return to “Church History”