Which President said this?

Homer

Which President said this?

Post by Homer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:45 pm

One of our presidents said this:
"Men are tending to materialism. Houses, lands, and worldly goods attract their attention, and as a mirage lure them on to death. Christianity, on the other hand leads only the natural body to death, and for the spirit, it points out a house not built with hands, eternal in the heavens. Christianity teaches that the converted are to receive the Holy Spirit. That they are sealed by it and changed by it into the image of God. To assist men in understanding the spiritual, a few material ordinances are still needed. Baptism, as an ordinance derives its efficacy from God. Jesus commanded it. It brings the trusting soul into the death of Christ. Its ends are spiritual good, and it shows to men and angels that the man's spirit is obedient to the will of Christ. The Lord's supper is an ordinance through which our weak conceptions can be raised up to the spiritual Christ. In this simple 'in memoriam' we not only declare our faith in the Christ of the past but in the present, who is alive forever more. Let me urge you to follow Him, not as the Nazarene, the Man of Galilee, the carpenter's son, but as the ever living spiritual person, full of love and compassion, who will stand by you in life and death and eternity."
We had a president who, early in his career, was a preacher for about 10 years and is said to have been "faithful until death". The quote is from one of his sermons. Can you guess who?

The following editorial speaks highly of the man without mentioning his Christian faith that formed his character:

http://tinyurl.com/ayptmv5

Candlepower

Re: Which President said this?

Post by Candlepower » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Okay, Homer, just before I give up and ask you to reveal which President made that statement, I'm going to make a guess.

Woodrow Wilson was a religious man. That is not the same as saying he was a Christian man. After all, he worked all of his political life to advance the "Kingdom of Man," which is quite different than the "Kingdom of God."

My guess is Wilson. Now, please tell us who you quoted. :?: :|

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:17 pm

psst, candlepower, click the link.

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Link? What link? Oh, there it is, hidden right in plain sight. It pays to read all the way down. :oops: Thank you, Michelle.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:50 pm

It seems that James Garfield was one of the victims of "Tecumseh's Curse." What do you think of Tecumseh's Curse anyway? Every President who was elected every 20 years, beginning in 1840 and continuing for the next 120 years, died within 5 years of his inauguration. Mere chance? Or Tecumseh's curse?

1840 William Henry Harrison died from severe pneumonia on April 4, 1841
1860 Abraham Lincoln was assassinated in 1865.
1880, James Garfield was assassinated in1881.
1900, William McKinley was assassinated1901.
1920, Warren G. Harding died of an uncertain cause in 1923. 
1940, Franklin D. Roosevelt succumbed to a cerebral hemorrhage in 1945.
1960, John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.
1980, Ronald Reagan was shot in a lung in 1981 but fully recovered. Was the curse broken?
2000, George W. Bush, no curse effects. He still lives.

Check out the following link for more information:

http://deadpresidents.tumblr.com/post/3 ... sehs-curse
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:09 am

I don't know about the curse. I have known for many years about Garfield's background as a preacher and devout Christian. What I noticed in the article was the lack of any mention of Garfield's faith that motivated his action. I would like to think it was because of ignorance, but I doubt it.

Return to “Church History”