Charles Finney

SteveF

Charles Finney

Post by SteveF » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:19 am

I’ve read partisan accounts about Charles Finney and the success of his evangelistic campaigns.

Those who are in support of his methodology would claim, unlike today’s campaigns in which only a small fraction remain Christian, Finney’s campaigns had a better than 90% success rate. They claim data showing those converted under Finney’s preaching were faithful Christians years later.

Those who oppose Finney’s theology claim that the vast majority of those converted by his preaching were found to be utterly godless years later.

I suspect that the truth is found somewhere in the middle. That being said, the claims are completely different. Does anyone happen to know of any non-partisan information that would point to the actual truth in this matter?

Thanks
Steve

TK

Re: Charles Finney

Post by TK » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:30 pm

hi steve-

i cant answer your question, but id did read finney's memoirs/diary a year or so ago- i thought it was excellent and i recommend it.

TK

SteveF

Post by SteveF » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:46 am

TK wrote:hi steve-

i cant answer your question, but id did read finney's memoirs/diary a year or so ago- i thought it was excellent and i recommend it.

TK
Hi TK, it’s likely been more that 20 years since I’ve read the autobiography of Finney. A couple of things that have stuck in my mind are the story of his conversion and the vast amount of prayer that was offered up before beginning an outreach.

I may not remember the story of his conversion precisely so correct me if I’m wrong. As I recall, he felt that the number one thing that kept him from gaining, as he termed it, “peace with God”, was his pride. I remember how he would be reading the bible in his office and if someone walked in he would quickly tuck his bible away so no one would know he was a seeker. He had heard about others finding peace with God by going out into the woods and seeking him, but he didn’t want to be like the others so he refused to seek God in the woods….once again, pride. Later, trying to show God how humble he was, while still avoiding the woods, he would kneel in mud puddles etc… but still not find the peace he was looking for. He finally relented and went out in the woods. He wanted to kneel down before God but was conscious that others may happen to come by and see him. He eventually came to acknowledge that it didn’t matter what others thought. He was no better than others and just a man. God was almighty and worthy of being knelt before and sought. So, not worrying if anyone happened to see him, he knelt down, just like all the others in the woods, and found his peace with God.

TK

Post by TK » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:49 am

you have it right- and when he kneeled at first he was still looking over his shoulder to see if anyone was approaching.

after his conversion, but later that day(i think), he had a powerful filling of the HS, which he said came over him like waves of liquid love to point where he had to ask the Lord to stop because he couldnt take it anymore. it subsided, but then later that night he woke up from bed and it overcame him again.

TK

Return to “Church History”