I go to prepare you a place....

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
mikew

Re: I go to prepare you a place....

Post by mikew » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:40 pm

I like how Steve dispelled many of the assumptions we make upon seeing this passage. His ideas are quite useful.

One thing about John 14:1-3 (the mansions) that I have noted is that Jesus was speaking to the disciples or more narrowly to the 11 apostles since chapter 14 appears to be a continuation of the events of chapter 13. Jesus may then have been addressing an issue only pertaining to the apostles. At least we must first recognize the narrow audience of that moment and then make a decision whether the words applied to all Christians.

A limitation in my thoughts before Steve's post is that John 14:1-3 involved Jesus coming and getting them and then going back to heaven. And, as we saw above, that scenario relies on too many assumptions and interpretations.

There may be a reason to consider the words to apply only to apostles. The apostles may have had a specific role in judging the twelve tribes of Israel. It seems the Apostles' role was more than just resolving issues of the Church.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

steve

Post by steve » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:59 pm

This is true. Even though the "house" and the "many rooms" may apply to the whole church, the specific promise, "I go to prepare a place for you..." may be intended for the apostles, who clearly hold a unique "place" in the body of Christ.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:30 pm

steve wrote:Jesus didn't say He would take the disciples with Him—i.e., to heaven or anywhere else. He said He would receive them or "take" them unto Himself upon His coming to them. Whether this "coming" refers to the descent of the Holy Spirit (as I think probable) or to the second coming, it says nothing about the believers going anywhere. All the motion is on Jesus' part. He goes away, and He comes back. Upon His coming back, He "receives" or "takes" the disciples to Himself. This might or might not involve movement on their part. When a man takes a woman as his bride, this may or may not result in relocation. In the present case, by including them in His body, He may be said to be receiving them unto Himself.

All the motion is on Jesus part except at the end he says "And where i go you know , and the way you know." Yes he may not mean a location but then again he may.
Even though Christ may end up in the disciples and God may be in the disciples it seems Paul thought of Christ being in a place that he wanted to be also. "Having a desire to depart and be with Christ which is far better." Phil 1.23
I agree this is not about the second coming but it could simply be that Christ sends his representatives (angels) to fetch our souls up to heaven when we die.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”