Message of Hell

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
wwalkeriv

Message of Hell

Post by wwalkeriv » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:47 pm

I podcast the show so I am several months behind in my listening, but on one of the shows in January (I think) there was a caller who pointed out that Hell was not mentioned many times in the Bible. Steve responded something to the effect of: he wasn't sure why Hell was such a primary topic in some denominations, he supposed it was incorporated by the Catholic church to scare people into believing and participating in something they didn't want to believe or participate in.

I am very interested in this topic, and would like to hear other thoughts on the matter (or further explanation from Steve if he has the time). I moved several years ago and now attend a Methodist church. Coming from a Baptist background, I noticed a very big difference in the manner in which the message is presented at the Methodist service. Mainly, the Methodist church hardly mentions hell at all. At almost every Baptist service I ever attended it was atleast mentioned. Anyone have any thoughts?

Paidion

Re: Message of Hell

Post by Paidion » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:05 pm

The Greek word for "hell" the place of suffering is γεεννα. It occurs only 12 times in the New Testament. The writers of the NT used the word 11 times, all in recording the words of our Saviour. Jesus warned people about it. The 12th occurence is in the book of James where he said that the tongue is a fire and is set on fire by γε-εννα.

The apostle Paul, after his conversion, spent his life proclaiming the gospel, but he didn't use the word γε-εννα even once in any of his twelve letters in the NT. That seems odd if it is such an important element in preaching the gospel.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

selah

Re: Message of Hell

Post by selah » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:39 pm

Paidion wrote:The Greek word for "hell" the place of suffering is γεεννα. It occurs only 12 times in the New Testament. The writers of the NT used the word 11 times, all in recording the words of our Saviour. Jesus warned people about it. The 12th occurence is in the book of James where he said that the tongue is a fire and is set on fire by γε-εννα.

The apostle Paul, after his conversion, spent his life proclaiming the gospel, but he didn't use the word γε-εννα even once in any of his twelve letters in the NT. That seems odd if it is such an important element in preaching the gospel.
I think people need to take Jesus' words seriously, not forget them and heed His warnings. They mean something to the human race, but since the "lovingkindness" of God is what leads us to repentance, I think throughout history, the church has put too much emphasis on hell. I think there would have been more real conversions throughout antiquity if the genuine lovingkindness of God had been in the place of "hellfire and brimstone."

I am probably wrong so thank you for correcting me if I am, but maybe Jesus' words about hell were like the "meat" of the gospel, or a concept for only the disciples to grasp at that time (or those already following Jesus) and then the gospel message to the unbeliever would be as Paul "declaired...that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting of repentence." Acts 26:20 Should I understand differently? I am sure I would like to understand more deeply.

Being raised in a critical "fear of hell" environment did not bring me closer to Jesus. Further, it is not what brought me back to Him either. After I "overcame" my fear of Him probably killing me upon His return, then I was able to come closer to Him for whatever level of closeness He would allow me to have with Him. Following Jesus came out of love (first, His love from Him to us and then, from us to Him).
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Return to “Radio Program Topics”