Image of God

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
SteveF

Image of God

Post by SteveF » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:13 pm

Yesterday at the end of the radio program an individual said that after Adam sinned man was no longer in God's image. Steve brought up a verse in James to refute that notion. I just wanted to add the following verse as well:

Gen 9:6 "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image.

God still seemed to consider man as being in His image. Hence, the reason for forbidding murder. At least, that's how I understand it.

My 2 cents

Steve

steve7150

Re: Image of God

Post by steve7150 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:35 pm

Gen 9:6 "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image.

God still seemed to consider man as being in His image. Hence, the reason for forbidding murder. At least, that's how I understand it.

If i wanted to play devils advocate ;) i might say God did make man in his own image at the beginning , but now since the devil is man's god , how could we now still be in God's image.
However i agree with you , the devil is the god of this world by deception.

SteveF

Re: Image of God

Post by SteveF » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:31 pm

If i wanted to play devils advocate i might say God did make man in his own image at the beginning
Hey Steve, yes I do think it's saying that God created (past tense) man in his image but it doesn't indicate anything has changed. In fact the opposite. It was the reason such a high value was placed on a man's life even after Adam's sin....because man is in God's image.

Here's the verse that Steve G quoted as well:

Jas 3:9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God.

Since we only have verses that affirm man was, and still is, created in God's image, I must conlude that is actually the case. I will add though, like Steve G did on the radio show, that our sin seems to mar that image in some way.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”