Release From Vow?

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
Homer

Release From Vow?

Post by Homer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:55 am

Hi Steve,

On yesterday's program, a caller said she had made a vow to attend church (every Sunday, as I recall). You suggested she ask God to release her from her vow. How would she know if God released her, or not? Is there anything in scripture that would assure her that God would?

God bless, Homer

steve

Re: Release From Vow?

Post by steve » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:50 am

Vows, or oaths, are very important, because they are a test of our integrity and give others occasion to know what they can count on from us. In general, the keeping of a vow is extremely important. It is better not to vow that to vow and then break it (Eccl.5:4-5).

Some vows are made to God, and some are made to men. We should definitely keep all legitimately-made vows (that is, vows that would be no sin to keep and which were made by a responsible adult who was free to make such a vow). Joshua, though deceived by the Gibeonites, still kept his vow to them, and did not claim that his being deceived nullified the vow. Jephthah is also, apparently, commended because of his keeping a vow that he later may have regarded as a rash one. The godly man "swears to his own hurt, and does not change" (Ps.15:4).

On the other hand, there is such a thing as being released from an oath under certain circumstances. A virgin daughter or a wife could be released from a vow, if the head of her household nullified it on the day he learned of it (Num.30). Araham's servant would be released from his vow, if Rebeckah had not agreed to join him (Gen.24:8).

Some vows involve our promises to other people. If we have foolishly "stricken hands" with another party (Prov.6:1-5), we are advised to seek out that party and see whether we can be released from the obligation (if we are not released, then I think we must keep the vow). If someone has made a follish vow to us, and wishes to be released from it, it would seem to be the loving thing to release them from it.

If someone makes an ill-advised vow to God, He may be pleased by their stubborn faithfulness in keeping the vow to their own hurt—but He might be equally willing to release them from it, if they were to ask. If we would kindly release people from rash vows that they have made to us, then I think God, who is infinitely more generous than we are, would often, when the situation warrants, release us from stupid vows that we made, if we repent of having made them and ask for his release.

The lady on the show had vowed, when she became a Christian, that she would attend the Catholic church every Sunday. This was not a wise vow to make, and might well be one from which God would release her, since it was made by one who was a misdirected infant in the faith (if she was even actually saved) and because (as we might judge) God might even wish to remove her from the Catholic Church—which would require the breaking of (or release from) her oath. If she had vowed to attend the Kingdom Hall every time the doors are open, and later came to see this group as a cult, we would probably see this vow as one that God would forgive, if asked.

As for your question, "How would one know if God has released them?" I would say that this would have to be a judgment we would make upon our perception of the character and grace of God. I suppose we might misjudge the matter, but if one is eager to please God, I think He would make His pleasure or displeasure in the matter known to the individual.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”