"Come out of her my people"

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
LoveFountain

"Come out of her my people"

Post by LoveFountain » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:16 am

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

On yesterday's morning show I heard Steve say he didn't know or wasn't sure who "Mystery Babylon" was, if we don't know who she is then how can we follow the call to come out of her?

Isn't this very important?

Bless you,
Love Fountain

steve

Re: "Come out of her my people"

Post by steve » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:22 am

I think Babylon, in Revelation, is probably Jerusalem in the first century. The believers came out of her prior to her destruction, and escaped her plagues. This leaves nothing more for us to do about this particular call to come out of her.

brody196

Post by brody196 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:29 am

Anyone can make the claim that they know what John was referring to and many do, but the truth is that we really don't know. I think we should approach passages like the one you mentioned with an open mind and look at the different views. Steve is a model example of this and is quick to let people know when he doesn't have a definitive answer.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:54 pm

I think Revelation is not just repeating what was plainly stated in the Olivet Discourses meaning Jerusalem's destruction, but unveiling something not known before. So i think in the middle parts of Rev the Papacy and her offspring are the beast but now it may be referring to all idolatry.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:59 pm

There's also the issue of interpretation vs. application

Let's say we 'interpret' it to be referring to 1st century Jerusalem...

There may still be (and almost certainly is) relevant 'application' for us today

It always best, though, when you make an application to have it grounded in solid interpretation

LoveFountain

Post by LoveFountain » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:19 am

steve wrote:I think Babylon, in Revelation, is probably Jerusalem in the first century. The believers came out of her prior to her destruction, and escaped her plagues. This leaves nothing more for us to do about this particular call to come out of her.

Hi Steve

Thanks for your response. I've been considering your possibility of first century Jerusalem being Babylon in Revelation 18 but I don't see how that could be possible when looking at the following.

Rev 18:21 And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all. kjv

If first century Jerusalem were Babylon in Rev 18 then shouldn't we be able to interchange the two words for each other and still have Rev 18:21 make sense even until this very day?

"Thus with violence shall that great city [Jerusalem]/Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all."

Certainly Jerusalem is still found today?

Did I miss something?

Bless you,
Love Fountain

LoveFountain

Post by LoveFountain » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:26 am

brody196 wrote:Anyone can make the claim that they know what John was referring to and many do, but the truth is that we really don't know. I think we should approach passages like the one you mentioned with an open mind and look at the different views. Steve is a model example of this and is quick to let people know when he doesn't have a definitive answer.
Hi Brody

Thank you for your response. We agree in approaching passages with an open mind. I also agree that it's good to let people know if you're not sure about something. In my humble opinion truth is truth.

Bless you,
Love Fountain

steve

Post by steve » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:56 pm

If first century Jerusalem were Babylon in Rev 18 then shouldn't we be able to interchange the two words for each other and still have Rev 18:21 make sense even until this very day?

"Thus with violence shall that great city [Jerusalem]/Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all."

Certainly Jerusalem is still found today?
Actually, it is not as accurate to say "Jerusalem is still found today," as it would be to say "Jerusalem is found again today." The prophecy said it will be found no more. That was true, after AD 70. Things changed with the passing of time so that Jerusalem was inhabited again in later generations. If "no more" means "never again" then this prophecy would not fit the facts. In my opinion, the expression "will be found no more," means it will be eliminated completely, and those going to that location will not find it there. This does fit the facts—unless this condition was meant to be permanent.

TacomaTyler

Post by TacomaTyler » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:21 pm

What would it mean when it says that all the nations of the earth/land were made rich by her?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:28 pm

What would it mean when it says that all the nations of the earth/land were made rich by her?TacomaTyler

If Revelation covers the church age and if "her" is Idolatry , that would refer to worshiping anything that is not God, like money,materialism,power and the things valued by the world. The use of the word "rich" is usually meant in a negative way in the NT.
If we want to be with God's family we have to come out of her.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”