Who Came from the Graves?

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
Soulsnaxx

Who Came from the Graves?

Post by Soulsnaxx » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:14 pm

Greetings,

Some very strange things happened during the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. For instance, in Matthew 27:52-53, who were those people who came forth from their graves? In this video, Bible teacher Steve Gregg offers an explanation.

Blessings,

Soulsnaxx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... iQ6zQYyApg

Paidion

Re: Who Came from the Graves?

Post by Paidion » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:17 pm

For years, I have understood it just as Steve Gregg explained it. These were people who had died and been placed into tombs, but were rescusicated, just as various people who had died and Jesus brought back to life. They still had the same bodies as previously, and doubtless died again.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

TruthInLove

Re: Who Came from the Graves?

Post by TruthInLove » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:27 am

This passage has always been a stumbling block for me. The idea that it was a mass resuscitation has its merits but that explanation has never quite settled the uneasiness I felt when reading this passage. The whole account has always felt somewhat gratuitous, arbitrary and contrived to me. Especially since the account isn't even mentioned or alluded to by the other Gospels.

However, a couple of years ago, when I was really wrestling with this during a Bible study I sometimes lead, I came across this article which I think explains what was going on here in terms which, to my mind, seem much more reasonable.

Matthew 27:52-53 as Apocalyptic Apostrophe: Temporal-Spatial Collapse in the Gospel of Matthew by Kenneth Waters, from 2003 in the Journal of Biblical Literature.

This particular distribution requires a free registration to read online but a Google search for the downloadable PDF version produces several hits as well.

in short, Dr. Waters argues that this account has all the earmarks of an apocalyptic account and that it was probably inserted to serve as a dramatic flash-forward to the culminating event made possible by the death of Christ - the final resurrection of believers.

It's a 26 page read, but well worth the investment for anyone who finds this passage troubling. I hope this helps someone as much as it has helped me.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”