Special permission or signs needed to leave cult?

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
jpat1975

Special permission or signs needed to leave cult?

Post by jpat1975 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:45 pm

What are some good scriptures to address the mentality of someone in a sectarian or cult style group that they DO NOT need God's special permission to leave. For example, someone recently left such a group, and made mention how the Lord had given some "clear dreams". This fellow NEVER needed special permission from God. Maybe the dream was from God, but it wasn't necessary, other than perhaps being a much needed push out. But in general, if one finds themselves in a toxic group or organization where they've been programmed to rely on God to "REVEAL" so many details, they have been brainwashed. Hearing this from someone who has left the group is troubling, because it suggest they could carry forward that mentality.

It's fine to want to please God - do His will - etc - but it really really gets ridiculous for some folks.

Thoughts? Stories?

Let's focus on the idea of needing special permission or signs (dreams) to leave a group.

What is the balance here?

etc

Paidion

Re: Special permission or signs needed to leave cult?

Post by Paidion » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:57 pm

There are plenty of people who make very few moves of any kind, without first receiving what they believe to be instruction from God. I think it best to leave these people alone. For if they really are hearing from God, and we suggest to them that this is unnecessary, we might even be opposing God. On the other hand, if it is only a thought of their own that they mistakenly believe to be God's voice, why disillusion them? At least they are making every attempt to follow God's leading in their lives, and that is more than many of the rest of us do.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

morbo3000

Re: Special permission or signs needed to leave cult?

Post by morbo3000 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:12 pm

I read a book that told a story of a woman who was in a really awesome relationship with a guy, that she thought was "the one." The longer they dated, the more she noticed he was a bit clingy, and bossy... and she all of a sudden thought, and said to the guy "I just don't feel God wants us together."

The emotion she wasn't able to acknowledge was, "you aren't a healthy person. My feelers are up and they are picking up a vibe I can't put my finger on. But this isn't good for me." Because she didn't have the language for that. Didn't have an innate sense of the way humans should treat each other and be treated. And that Christ speaks to that. And that it's ok to think for ourselves.

Cults use language to deny all that. Deny the way people should treat others and be treated. And they couch it all in "we're the spiritual leaders, so you can't question us, because we are God's people."

You should do anything that can be done to strengthen a person's innate worth as a child of God, and willingness and courage to stand up for that worth. Saying "I think God is saying..." doesn't address the core problem, because it's individualizing the issue. "God is saying to me.." means "I don't think is right for me.." not saying "You are corrupt men who are using power to manipulate people, and it's wrong.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Return to “Radio Program Topics”