"The bible interprets itself"

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
jpat1975

"The bible interprets itself"

Post by jpat1975 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:38 am

How have you addressed this statement by folks who think they have the authoritive and correct understanding of what the bible says?

Obviously we can use scripture to help us interpret less clear parts of scripture. Yet even that doesn't settle every tiny question.

How have you helped someone to recognize this?

Looking for specific examples that got someone to reconsider their simplistic and prideful view that those scriptures so OBVIOUS to them - were not actually so clear.

Singalphile

Re: "The bible interprets itself"

Post by Singalphile » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:35 am

Maybe direct them to a Spanish or German or Swahili language Bible and ask them to prove their point only from it?
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

You have to ask yourself, does this person have a history of humility? If not, you are spitting in the wind trying to get past his pride. All the right points in the world won't soften a hard heart.

For specific examples, I'd point you to recent threads about the scripture. I try (try) to stay calm, express myself as clearly as possible, edit, edit, edit (only useful in print conversations) ask the person you are talking with to provide specific examples to backup their broad stereotypes.

I think you might find this useful.

http://www.untrainedeye.net/2013/parado ... ck-1526ad/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:41 pm

God is exonerated from causing evil because, "He who ordains evil and yet can compensate with greater gain than the loss he cannot prevent is not be blamed for evil." (Whether God is the Cause of Evil, p. 103.)

Hans Denck - early 1500s

Return to “Radio Program Topics”