A little look at Giants

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
Biblegate

A little look at Giants

Post by Biblegate » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:54 pm

The men who spied out the Promised Land for Moses reported that they had seen Nephilim there. That is, giants. But giant what? Giant men? Giant beasts? That's what a caller asked Bible-teacher Steve Gregg, host of The Narrow Path radio program. Steve sheds a lot of light in a little while on a large subject.

https://youtu.be/1MdE1nvEvXs

robbyyoung

Re: A little look at Giants

Post by robbyyoung » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Although I appreciate Steve's conservative and even cautious narrative on the subject, I'm curious as to why the 1st book of Enoch wasn't referenced regarding this matter. Should the status quo opinion dismiss any alternative biblical reasoning? Unless I'm mistaken, the 1st book of Enoch was quoted or eluded to as "apparent" scripture in the NT. The giants or Nephillim were absolutely mysterious or legendary according to Enoch's account. Basically, if Enoch was quoted by any NT author, Enoch's account of the Nephillim should then be relevant to the "giant" discussion. In my opinion, to not mention Enoch's account, at all, is kind of censoring peripheral truths outside the "mainstream" acceptable narrative.

Steve, maybe your reasons are hinged on canonical shackles, which I don't necessarily disagree with, but isn't the same "1st Enoch" quoted in scripture is what we have today? So why did you leave this testimony out of the discussion? I truly value your wisdom and this is why I'm asking.

God Bless

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Just some information, Robby. Contrary to what Jude and other early Christians affirmed, the book of Enoch was NOT written by the historic Enoch, the 7th from Adam. At first, I was very excited to obtain a copy of Enoch, since Jude had quoted a passage from it and regarded it as authoritative. But I soon learned that the author of Enoch probably wrote the book just a couple of centuries or so before Christ.

In Chapter 54:9 of Enoch, it is written, "The chiefs of the East, among the Parthians and Medes, shall remove kings, in whom a spirit of perturbation shall enter." However, the Parthians were unknown in history until the 250th year before Christ.

The author of the book also had some fantastic astronomical concepts—that the sun, moon, and other heavenly bodies pass through "gates." Here's just a few lines from Chapter 71, Section 13:
This is the first law of the luminaries. The sun and the light arrive at the gates of heaven, which are on the east, and on the west of it at the western gates of heaven. I beheld the gates from which the sun goes forth and the gates where the sun sets, in which gates the moon rises and sets, and I beheld the conductors of the stars among those who precede them; six gates were at the rising, and six at the setting of the sun.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Paidion wrote:Just some information, Robby. Contrary to what Jude and other early Christians affirmed, the book of Enoch was NOT written by the historic Enoch, the 7th from Adam. At first, I was very excited to obtain a copy of Enoch, since Jude had quoted a passage from it and regarded it as authoritative. But I soon learned that the author of Enoch probably wrote the book just a couple of centuries or so before Christ.

In Chapter 54:9 of Enoch, it is written, "The chiefs of the East, among the Parthians and Medes, shall remove kings, in whom a spirit of perturbation shall enter." However, the Parthians were unknown in history until the 250th year before Christ.

The author of the book also had some fantastic astronomical concepts—that the sun, moon, and other heavenly bodies pass through "gates." Here's just a few lines from Chapter 71, Section 13:
This is the first law of the luminaries. The sun and the light arrive at the gates of heaven, which are on the east, and on the west of it at the western gates of heaven. I beheld the gates from which the sun goes forth and the gates where the sun sets, in which gates the moon rises and sets, and I beheld the conductors of the stars among those who precede them; six gates were at the rising, and six at the setting of the sun.
Hello dear brother,

I will not be contentious with you regarding your research, however, the fact still remains that 1st century authors quoted from this source as if it was authoritative. If it wasn't, then Jude and others got it wrong, inherently leaving their testimony flawed and uninspired. Is this the logical and biblical route we are forced to acknowledge? All because our 1st hand knowledge is limited, we must now condemn Jude and others as mistaken, being eyewitnesses of what we could only hope to have seen, heard, and been subjected to, culturally, spiritually, and personally. I think we are sometimes way too arrogant in our "so-called" knowledge. I'm personally going to continue to believe and have confidence in the eyewitnesses' account and testimony. But, skepticism has its place when warranted.

God Bless.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”