Flood & Whale ~ Fact or Tall Tale?

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
Biblegate

Flood & Whale ~ Fact or Tall Tale?

Post by Biblegate » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Noah's Flood & Jonah's Whale -- are they fact or fish tales? Is there evidence that those Biblical accounts are more than just ancient tall tales? Bible teacher Steve Gregg, host of The Narrow Path radio program, answers that question for a curious caller.

https://youtu.be/Q1Yfw1p6wEs

grayham

Re: Flood & Whale ~ Fact or Tall Tale?

Post by grayham » Thu May 24, 2018 12:23 am

of course it is fact and real as jesus spoke about it.and the word of god is truth.without error.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 pm

grayham wrote:of course it is fact and real as jesus spoke about it.and the word of god is truth.without error.
Well... it isn't a fact that Jonah was swallowed by a WHALE. Whales do not have the mouth construction to swallow a man.

Indeed, the word "whale" is not found in the Bible except in the King James and related versions, where such translations state in Matthew 12:40 that Jonah was in the belly of the whale.
However, modern versions, including the New King James Version, do not translate the Greek phrase "του κητος" as "of the whale." The NKJV translates the phrase as "of the great fish."
And I do agree that it is a historical fact that Jonah was swallowed by a great fish.

When you say, "the word of god is truth.without error," you should make sure you are not talking merely about the King James Version of the Bible.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

grayham

Post by grayham » Sat May 26, 2018 2:28 am

you should read the verse it says a great fish not a whale you assume its a whale.

TK

Post by TK » Sat May 26, 2018 7:17 am

In the KJV version of Mt: 12:40 says "whale."

grayham

Post by grayham » Sun May 27, 2018 5:18 am

in nkjv it ssys huge fish.also in the greek.i guess your a only klv person then.

TK

Post by TK » Sun May 27, 2018 6:36 am

i guess your a only klv person then
Holy mackeral no! Not sure where you got that idea. Some folks- atheists mostly- use the KJV version of Jesus's words (that Jonah was swallowed by a whale) to try to show that Jesus didn't know that a whale couldn't swallow a man.

I have no problem believing that Jonah was swallowed by some sort of a very large sea creature. If so, he was supernaturally kept alive for three days, I suspect.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun May 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Graham seems to have a reading problem.
I wrote:Well... it isn't a fact that Jonah was swallowed by a WHALE. Whales do not have the mouth construction to swallow a man.

Indeed, the word "whale" is not found in the Bible except in the King James and related versions, where such translations state in Matthew 12:40 that Jonah was in the belly of the whale.
However, modern versions, including the New King James Version, do not translate the Greek phrase "του κητος" as "of the whale." The NKJV translates the phrase as "of the great fish."
And I do agree that it is a historical fact that Jonah was swallowed by a great fish.
And immediately Grayham wrote: you should read the verse it says a great fish not a whale you assume its a whale.
How old are you, Graham?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Radio Program Topics”