radio answer 24.7

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
grayham

radio answer 24.7

Post by grayham » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:39 am

have to dissagree with the host .god clearly says non is rightouss.all have sinned.no one does good.all have sinned.no one seeks god or understands.all our works are like filthy rags.in the hosts own words this is what the early church fathers believed.and not his thoughts on this matter.
you come to christ as a begger.with nothing good in our selves.its what the church always believed and its what gods word teaches.scripture torture comes to my mind on the hosts view of humanity that we can do good and god can except this.not according to scripture.

steve

Re: radio answer 24.7

Post by steve » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:16 am

Grayham,

You are doing what has been common practice to do, since the Reformation, in proving a point—namely, you string together a montage of scriptural phrases that sound good to prove a point, without citing the whole passages from which they are drawn, nor considering the meaning of the verses in their context.

In other words, instead of trying to discover, from his writings, what an author actually believed, advocates of a favored view commonly seize upon words and phrases, out of context, to prove one's own position (presupposing without adequate investigation that the original author held the same view). Of course when you consult the whole Bible, you find many affirmations that there are righteous people—some of these come directly from God's own mouth:

Then the Lord said to Noah, “Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation." (Gen.7:1)

“Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?” (Job 1:8)

“The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness; According to the cleanness of my hands He has recompensed me." (2 Sam.22:21)

"If the foundations are destroyed, What can the righteous do?... The Lord tests the righteous" (Ps.11:3, 5)

"God is with the generation of the righteous." (Ps.14:5) [By the way, this is in the same Psalm that Paul is quoting when he says "there is none who does good" (Rom.3:12; Psalm 14:1, 3)

"He who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward." (Matt.10:41)

" I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it." (Matt.13:17)

"[The parents of John the Baptist] were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless." (Luke 1:6)

Obviously, you are mistaken in saying that "no one is righteous"—even though you are quoting (out of context) an actual phrase found in scripture.

You are correct, if all you are saying there is none "sinless." This is not a controversial point. You cited verses to prove that point, but no one I know has ever denied this. However, to draw your theology about a subject discussed throughout the whole Bible, by appeal to one verse or two, removed from their original contexts, is certainly a methodology leading to error.

If you wish to represent the teaching of scripture on a subject, you might first want to see what the Bible actually says on that subject prior to deciding.

By the way, do you ever intend to return to the same thread twice, in order to recant one of your refuted misstatements, or to further answer the responses that I have written to you?

Return to “Radio Program Topics”