The forum's new look

Post Problems, Suggestions, or Comments about the New Forum.
backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

The forum's new look

Post by backwoodsman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:23 pm

I can't say I like the new look. I know a lot of forums are using a similar look these days, but I find it harder to see what's what and navigate the site. Too 'smooth' a look, not enough contrast, too much eye candy and not enough function. And there's that fat grey bar at the bottom of the screen that contains nothing that needs to be displayed all the time, so it's wasted space.

I can't find a place to set a different visual theme. Is there such a setting somewhere?

Bud

Re: The forum's new look

Post by Bud » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:58 pm

I've had go to the "tapalk" forum app. Reading Theos on my smartphone turned very restrictive, very little reading room, the screen was half black.

I love this site and am very happy to have it. Anybody else with an Android device might try "tapatalk" they have "The Narrow Path" forum, only $2.99.

Bud
Malachi 3:16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard [it,] and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name. (NASB) :)

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:36 pm

I kind of like it (and I generally dislike change of any kind). But, my tapatalk app's not playing as nice with it -- it says the forum is using an expired API -- might be something worth checking out, Jarrod.

Let's give it some time -- change is hard.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:51 pm

I liked it better the other way. Not because I resist change. I just don't like this particular change.

And what's that "offline" word beside the avatars, when the person is ONLINE?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:29 pm

How do you access the user control panel?
How do you access italics, bold, color, etc.?
Where are all the features which were available previously?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:59 pm

darinhouston wrote:Let's give it some time -- change is hard.
I like change when it's for the better. This one isn't.

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Paidion, click on your name at the top right corner of the page, the green button. A drop down menu has the user control panel accessible there.

That is a good question though, about the text edit buttons.

Other than that, good job Jarrod, thanks.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Douglas

Post by Douglas » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:41 am

I like it better as well. I am able to actually use my Android device to read the forum now.

Thanks

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am

I am truly listening to all of the complaints! I knew this would not be perfect and some people would not like it, but I wanted to try this out for a couple of reasons.

The main one was that it is using a very popular front-end framework for "look and feel" that I use for a lot of other interfaces. This enables me to easily add some other modules I have been planning (like the media site) while keeping a consistent look across the site. Another reason is because bootstrap enables me to add a lot of cool visual effects and features very quickly.

I suspected there would be some features that were missing or not coded into this template. I've already found a few myself and wanted to work through them because I thought the change would be more beneficial down the road.

Darin, I think I forgot to add the tapatalk logic to the new template... I can remedy this.

Also, I can add the feature to the user control panel that allows everyone to choose between this template or the original one.

Sorry for springing it on all of you without notice.

Jarrod

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 am

I found some other problems... I will address those using my own profile before making the "new theme" an option... Thanks, Jarrod

Return to “New Forum”