Casting Lots to make decissions

_anothersteve

Casting Lots to make decissions

Post by _anothersteve » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:24 pm

I was at a Christian camp this year and a lady said something to me that I've thought about and want to get others input.

She was discouraged by many people's ego in the Church and how they use manipulation to get the Church to do things their way etc....There are just so many different opinions and infighting. Her solution was simple in her mind....sometimes you just need to cast lots...thus God will settle the issue and no ego is involved.

To be honest it sounded appealing to me. I remember watching a video called "First Fruits". It was a true story where a congregation cast lots to see if certain people were realeased to go to the mission field. It seemed to work.

On the other hand... is this practical? .... would people reallly accept the results?...Does God still speak this way?

Any thoughts or input?

Steve
Last edited by _MoGrace2u on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:48 am

When I was a young Christian, I wanted to purcase an expensive item I didn't need. I decided to pray and determine God's will by "casting lots", in this case a coin flip. I said "heads" I buy what I want and give a large donation to World vision and "tails" I do nothing. Dumb idea. Prayed and flipped the coin and heads came up. Turned out buying the item was a big mistake (but not the gift to World Vision)!

Did God teach me a lesson? I have since thought God much preferred a third option: give the gift to world vision and don't buy the unneeded item! And I would have been way ahead in more ways than one.

I think God most often will tell us what we ought to do if we listen.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
A Berean

_TK

Post by _TK » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:38 am

this question was discussed elsewhere not long ago ( i cant remember exactly where). in the OT, the priests used the urim and thummin (sort of like casting lots) as a way of determining God's will in a matter. God actually commanded the use of the urim and thummin.

in acts 1, the apostles cast lots to choose a successor to Judas, who was now dead. the assumption was that God would choose who he wanted through the casting of the lots.

i agree with Homer, though-- if we are walking with the Lord we shouldnt have to cast lots in order to determine God's will.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:41 am

TK wrote:this question was discussed elsewhere not long ago ( i cant remember exactly where). in the OT, the priests used the urim and thummin (sort of like casting lots) as a way of determining God's will in a matter. God actually commanded the use of the urim and thummin.

in acts 1, the apostles cast lots to choose a successor to Judas, who was now dead. the assumption was that God would choose who he wanted through the casting of the lots.

i agree with Homer, though-- if we are walking with the Lord we shouldnt have to cast lots in order to determine God's will.

TK
Agreed, when making personal decisions.

However, casting lots in the Scripture is used for making communal or congregational decisions. I think it is a valid practice. It is as if the group is casting lots with the understanding that God controls the outcome, especially if different individuals disagree about a course of action that isn't explicitly determined in the Scripture.

As an example, we shouldn't cast lots to determine a course of action if the action is sinful. But when selecting between two or more good, amoral choices, casting lots can be a good idea.
She was discouraged by many people's ego in the Church and how they use manipulation to get the Church to do things their way etc....There are just so many different opinions and infighting. Her solution was simple in her mind....sometimes you just need to cast lots...thus God will settle the issue and no ego is involved.
I think this lady was on to something.

It won't work unless all involved must be committed to following the outcome, even if they don't agree. And that means laying aside our pride (gulp!).

Dave
Reason:

_anothersteve

Post by _anothersteve » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:55 am

I posted the below comment not realizing that Dave had basically just made the same point. :D
I agree. In our personal lives we should have a good sense of what God wants us to do. In fact, I can't actually think one one example in the bible where a lot was cast to make a personal decision. Maybe there is one but I can't think of one. It seemed to be used for group decisions like...determining who would do certian ministries and allotment of land.

In a group situation, if people cannot come to a consensus do you ever think that this verse could come into play.

Prov 18:18 NLT
"Flipping a coin can end arguments it settles disputes between powerful opponents."

Just trying to think this through...thanks for sharing
Steve
Last edited by _MoGrace2u on Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:26 am

Here is a true story about my experience with flipping coins to seek the mind of God:

About twenty-fived years ago, a "prophet" came to a nearby town to warn the town about God's judgment. When no one listened to him, he pronounced judgment against the town.There were two women with him and one man, and one of the women was introduced as his wife. The other man appeared totally subdued, but other woman "preached" to the town, and said she could tell a person everything about themselves. The townspeople ignored her, but I approached her and asked her to tell me all about myself. She wasn't able to do so, but invited me into their trailer and "prophesied" over me. The male "prophet" said things that indicated that he wanted to gain power over me. When I questiioned what he was saying, he became rather rude, and so I got up and walked out the the trailer. The woman followed me out and "apologized" for his behaviour.
I went home and inquired of the Lord. I felt I needed a sign concerning the male "prophet". Before I tossed ten coins into the air, I asked the Lord to indicate that this man was a true prophet by letting them all fall as heads, or a false prophet by letting them all fall as tails. But if any other arrangement of coins were to fall, then I would know I shouldn't have used this method. So I tossed the coins and all of themlanded as tails. I took this as the definite word of God. I drove back to the little town to warn the others about this man, but when I arrived there, they had all left the town.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_TK

Post by _TK » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:51 pm

paidion-- i thought you were going to say that all the coins landed on their edge upright. then what would you have done?

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_anothersteve

Post by _anothersteve » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:07 pm

I tossed the coins and all of themlanded as tails.
WOW! :shock:
Reason:

_anothersteve

Post by _anothersteve » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:55 am

The other man appeared totally subdued
My heart goes out to this man.

Steve
Reason:

Return to “General”