So I approached my Pastors......

_postpre

So I approached my Pastors......

Post by _postpre » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:22 pm

Two months ago I met with two pastors of the Church that I currently attend to discuss a couple doctrinal issues that I have come to believe. I met with them because I'm aware that the current movement (of Churches) that I'm a part of would disagree with me in these areas. I brought these issues to my pastors because I want to be able to fully teach (both now and in the future) my convictions on these matters. It's not that I care so much that others disagree with me, it's that I simply do not want to be expected to remain silent.

The meeting went slightly better than I thought it would. I was told that it is OK for me to have these beliefs. They even said that holding these views would not necessarily bar me from leadership consideration in the future.

However, I did not get the sense that I would be able to unrestrictedly teach these views. I have since corresponded with other leaders in the movement and the overall tenor that I gather is that I would likely need to stay fairly silent about my views.

In addition, after I told one of my pastors that I planned on doing some home teaching (to some other friends in the Church) he thought a precaution was needed. While he believed that my teaching others could be worthwhile, he brought me to Acts 20, when Paul forewarned the Ephesians about the disciples being coaxed away (in the future) from the eldership. In essence, he made it clear that it was permissible for me to teach at my home, but if he detected that my teaching was drawing other Christians away from the Church in some way then he would need to take action to perhaps prevent this.

Any suggestions on what road I should take from here? Do you think that my pastor was warranted in comparing this potential situation to Acts 20? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Brian
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:33 am

Hi Brian
Do you think that my pastor was warranted in comparing this potential situation to Acts 20?
I think you already know the answer to that. I don't know what doctrine you differ with your denomination on, but if your pastor is using Acts 20 to make his point, I would have to ask him what part of it he would consider a "perverse thing" and if by teaching it you would be considered a "savage wolf". Remember, a wolf cannot simultaneously be a sheep.

I empathize with you brother, your story is not very much different from my own and I've heard it played out over and over again, pastors thinking that they somehow own the "sheep" in their congregation. Jesus is the only one with the right to claim ownership over sheep (John 10).

I think it's absolutely absurd (and frankly insulting) that church leaders should feel threatened by someone inviting some friends over for a bible study or discussion as if all such activities must be sanctioned by the church.

Having said all that, I think it's also important to remember that your church is technically a legal organization under the control of those leaders. While participating in official "church" sponsored activities, I think the Christian thing to do is to submit to their wishes. They do have a right to run their organization how ever they see fit. Unfortunately, doctrinal uniformity seems to be one of the main objectives of many church organizations.

you wrote:
In essence, he made it clear that it was permissible for me to teach at my home, but if he detected that my teaching was drawing other Christians away from the Church in some way then he would need to take action to perhaps prevent this.
Your pastor doesn't really have a biblical leg to stand on to say such a thing IMO. But at the same time, this may be a case where the most loving to do is forsake your own liberty for the sake of not stumbling others. Nobody (except the enemy) wins if this thing gets ugly. I think collateral damage must be a major consideration in these situations and sometimes that even means your own ego and reputation taking it on the chin. Disciples are called to endure that anyway.

My own opinion is this. If this fellowship is otherwise edifying for you and your family and this little disagreement is something you and your pastors can learn to live with, then do. If not, I think it's best to withdraw quietly. But that's something only you and God can decide.

I can tell you bro, it's not an easy decision. But, I would sincerely ask the Lord for direction more than anyone else on this forum. I think He'll give you clear leading in this.

I do know how you feel and my prayers are with you brother.

Lord bless.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:38 am

Christopher,

Amen & amen! Excellent advice!

Blessings, Homer
Reason:
A Berean

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:02 pm

Teaching a doctrine is one thing and providing information for one to make an informed decision is another. I like Steves approach in all his lectures and that is he says what view he holds to but presents it in a way of comparrison to the other views.

Just some thoughts to help you with your approach.
Reason:

_postpre

Post by _postpre » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:11 pm

Thanks Chris, Allyn, and Homer.

I have given it much thought and will seek the Lord for further direction.
Reason:

_livingink

Post by _livingink » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:49 pm

Would you care to reveal the areas of difference? We experienced this situation about a year ago. When a young man taught a lesson that was biblically allowable but incongruent with denomination interpretation he was asked not to teach that subject. When he protested that the Bible taught his view the district superintendent told him to forget what the Bible taught and to follow the denomination's doctrine. While the young man's view may have had some flaws, he was quite sincere and was attempting to exegete scripture. The DS was obviously the false shepherd of John 10 and succeeded in scattering the flock to other fellowships.

livingink
Reason:

_Les Wright

Post by _Les Wright » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:24 pm

postpre,

I am glad that you don't feel shut down to not even pursue holding Bible studies in your home. Honestly, that is how I feel sometimes.

I agree that if you are to teach, you need to teach what you believe. It would be wise to at least give the wider church opinion on matters that you disagree with though and probably not to 'overemphasize' the differences.

Take courage in that the ideal is to become Christlike, not a replica of yourself or your church leaders.

Les
Reason:

_Sean

Re: So I approached my Pastors......

Post by _Sean » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:02 am

Brian,

One thing you have to consider is that you church "leaders" teach what they do generally because they believe it. If you teach something different it can confuse those who don't study as much and/or think well on their own leading to a fracture of the church you go to. It's just as Galations 1 states "Is Christ divided"? People might think that you are right and follow you. Others might think you are wrong and want you out of that church.

It's best if you and the "leaders" can openly teach differing views to educate the people and not divide them. I think their fear is you might divide the church up. When in reality you may simply want to educate them.

About Acts 20. It is possible for you to fall into the category of "draw away disciples after themselves". You should consider that they are suppose to warn/protect the people "under" their leadership and they have to consider that you might begin to teach more and more things that your church doesn't agree with.

Now, the problem with Acts 20 is if you are drawing people away from the truth or error. If it's honestly a secondary issue then why teach on it at all? If it's just going to confuse people. If, however, the group you teach are fully aware that this is a secondary issue that is ok to disagree about and you teach both what you believe and what your church believes then that may help ease the tension.

Remember that Paul and Apollos both taught the same group of disciples and certainly they didn't hear the same thing exactly. This doesn't mean one of them was a "wolf". And Acts 20 speaks about the wolves arising from among their own (within the eldership). Although that doesn't mean it can't also refer to disciples as well.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

Return to “General”