skits and drama in church

_moe

Post by _moe » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:41 pm

The last two churches we attended had silly skits and drama before the worship began. It had the people in much laughter and seemed for some to be entertaining. To me it reminded me of bringing the world in the church to keep them entertained and like a theatre. Any comments?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:59 pm

Hi Moe,
I assume that the defense that these churches would give for the inclusion of such skits would be that Jesus used dramatized stories (parables) to speak to the crowds, and that this is not different from that. However, I see some significant differences.

Jesus used parables to speak to those who were not saved, primarily—not in order to entertain them, nor even to illustrate truth to them, but rather to obscure truth from them because they were not committed to Him. When He was alone with the disciples (i.e., "in church"), He expounded the truth plainly (Matt.13:10-13/Mark 4:34).

The church assemblies are supposed to be the gathering of the believers for teaching and mutual edification (Acts 2:44-47/1 Cor.14:12, 18-19, 26). Today, many churches are full of unconverted people—and their leaders love to have it so. They have done much to guarantee it. They have dumbed down the gospel to be an unoffensive message presented in an entertaining fashion. This is contrived to attract people who are addicted to entertainment, and who demand it, rather than (and at the expense of) those who are hungry for God Himself. This is not the biblical pattern, and has resulted in a situation where really committed Christians can hardly find a haven of fellowship with likeminded believers anymore.

In my opinion, the use of drama could be defended in evangelism (which is done outside the church for the sake of the heathen, as opposed to church services, which are for the Christians). Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Zecjariah all acted-out their messages occasionally (always in outreach to unbelievers). The purpose of Christian drama, if it is used at all, should be for communication of an uncompromised message—not merely entertainment.

It is not that I think Christians should have nothing to do with entertainment. I don't see why anyone should object to a godly Christian attending a morally-appropriate play, movie or concert, even if they are secular and not distinctly Christian. However, we should take seriously the fact that entertainment has become an idol of our culture, and may come to occupy too central a place in our lives as well. This is a danger the modern American Christian must not underestimate.

When Christians gather, they should have adequate time set aside for corporate worship and prayer, and should receive abundant, sound teaching from the Word of God. Most church services today are relatively short, and give very short shrift to both prayer and the teaching of the Word.

The "worship" in many popular churches is more focused on musicianship, vocal talent, and "good vibes" than on the expression of awe and reverence for God—in other words, it's just entertainment, again. I confess that even the majority of "specials" that I have heard sung in church services seem more suited to showcase the vocal talent of the singer than to fill an actual spiritual need of the congregation (there are exceptions to this statement, but I am just talking about a much-too-common phenomenon).

Even if the entire "song service" of the average modern church service were entirely God-centered, there is already too little time available for Christians to spend together in true worship, prayer and instruction than can justify (in my opinion) the wasting of precious time with elements intended only for entertainment.
Last edited by FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_moe

Post by _moe » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:42 am

Thank you Steve for your reply. GODS word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. I appreciate you teaching from GODS word, TRUTH!

Moe
Reason:

_Anonymous

My 2 cents

Post by _Anonymous » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:10 pm

I write skits for my church but mine are all and only about how to witnesses to people and how we can aan answer to the non Christian about our faith. Showing people how to use the 10 commandments to show people that they are sinners. Thus they need a savior. Those are the kind of skits that I write. My church calls them skits some may say role playing.

Michael :D
Reason:

_moe

Post by _moe » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:32 pm

HI
Skits were unheard of 25 yrs and more ago in church. I am sorry
but they are somewhat offensive to me.........Perhaps its because
I take them wrong as to say we are having skits to persuade people
and entertain them. There is way to much entertainment in christianity.

My opinion!

Moe
Reason:

_Randall

Post by _Randall » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:55 pm

I've been getting more and more disillusioned with the church Terri and I attend. About a month ago, the entire service was four gals from a local Christian college singing songs! That would be great if held during a weeknight but how in the world is God going to get a mesage across if there is no sermon?

We've quit going to the Wednesday night bible studies. Nothing but watered down milk. The last one we went to was taught by the pastor and the subject was knowing God's will. He did little more than review the different passages in the bible that mentioned God's will and making a few comments. That's after spending half the class time going around the room and having us introduce ourselves and stating what the best part of our week was.

Sorry for sounding bitter. Actually, there is much love in this church, it's quite evident and the outreach to the community is great. But we're staying home on Wednesday nights and listening to lectures on The Narrow Path. That's where we get fed and convicted and blessed.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:47 am

Yes, I have stopped attending on Wed. eve's as well along with Sun. eve
the same is true here, just watered down and now this penecostal church
is going to serve coffee and making it "seeker friendly", I get so much from Steve G teachings and david wilkerson, his website is

worldchallenge.com

you did not sound bitter at all
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:31 pm

It does bother me when so much time is spend on "us". As my Pastor says "It's not about us/me" But then we spend half the time talking about how our week was, and how they would like more land to build a bigger church. :(

The last few months have been difficult for me. I wish I could find some more people to fellowship with. My church seems very concerned with building up the building and adding more people to their congegation. But these poor people are starving to death.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:43 pm

I am finding it hard to find anyone to fellowship with outside of the walls.
I am thankful for Steve's ministry and also others via online.
The church I attend is concerned about tithes, social events, the roof
yes, a good message is taught sometimes but I am tired of mixing
the holy with the profane.
Reason:

_Roger

Post by _Roger » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:07 am

I love the church meetings I attend. I never fail to get refreshed by the Lord and spoken to by His word. We have no pastor. The meetings are purposely designed to encourage everyone to speak which I believe is the way the church meetings should be. We sing quite a bit but mostly from hymns that have been around for a while and have deep spiritual truth in them. Anyone is free to call out a hymn to be sung. We have no printed church program. We do not pass an offering plate. We simply have a small wooden box in the back that is our designated offering place. If someone wishes to make their gift go to a desigated person or ministry then they mark in on a plain envelope and put their money in it and put it in the box. We also have no choir.....sorry but we do all the singing ourselves, which we enjoy very much.
This kind of church meeting reqires people ( not in the way of law ) to be in the word during the week.
When the apostle Paul says to the corithians that "you can all prophesy one by one that all may learn and all may be comforted", I believe this is what he was talking about.
I hope this is not offensive to anyone but from reading your posts and also from my own experience of being a christian for over 35 years and attending various church meetings I can say that this kind of church meeting is very edifying and I'm very happy with it. Does this mean that there are not occasional problems and things said in the meetings which might be a bother to some. No. But having a situation where the various members of the body of Christ can function(knowing that at times there will be mistakes and problems) is far better than the organized, predictable, stale, and unedifying meetings of the "so called " christian church of today.
Reason:

Return to “General”