A Word From the Past

Paidion

A Word From the Past

Post by Paidion » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:08 pm

Today I happened to be looking at my grandfather's Bible. He was born in 1859 and died in 1950. He had purchased this Bible at a local sale in 1944.
There was bookmark I had never seen previously. It was a handwritten note on a piece of paper 2.5 inches by 4 inches. Here is what the writer of the note (not my grandfather) wrote:
Some people have long since bid farewell to truth and taken a long journey into the far country of misrepresentation and slander.
I just wondered if anyone had any comments concerning this statement.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Michelle

Re: A Word From the Past

Post by Michelle » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Paidion wrote:Today I happened to be looking at my grandfather's Bible. He was born in 1859 and died in 1950. He had purchased this Bible at a local sale in 1944.
There was bookmark I had never seen previously. It was a handwritten note on a piece of paper 2.5 inches by 4 inches. Here is what the writer of the note (not my grandfather) wrote:
Some people have long since bid farewell to truth and taken a long journey into the far country of misrepresentation and slander.
I just wondered if anyone had any comments concerning this statement.
What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.

[Ecc 1:9 ESV]

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:55 pm

It seems those words get truer and truer as the years go by. Truth seems to be an inconvenience for most and they deal with it by not dealing with it. And now, misrepresentation and slander seem to be the acceptable language of the day, sad as that is to say. Your grandfather must have been very wise.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Yes your grandfather spoke prophetic words as the far country is getting overcrowded.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:30 pm

Not that it is of major importance, but I prefixed the quote with these words:
Here is what the writer of the note (not my grandfather) wrote:
It seems that those who are under the impression that my grandfather wrote those words, somehow missed this prefix.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “General”