Dictators Good For Christianity?

Homer

Re: Dictators Good For Christianity?

Post by Homer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:45 pm

A problem being overlooked is that with a secular dictator in power Christians are often tolerated, while when the dictator is removed in an attempt to foster democracy but instead fanatical Islamists take over, the Christians are forced to flee or be killed. As a result there will be no witness at all left in the land. So how is the cause of Christ helped?

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:41 am

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:50 am

It is interesting that a young woman in our Bible study at Church, who is a Syrian who lived in Iran (and now lives here) was telling me that her family, although they called themselves Christians, were not really ‘believers’ in fact her dad was abit Atheist, her mom a nominal Catholic, as were most in the ‘Christian’ category there. The group categorized as Christian is really just a group of everybody that is ‘anything but’ Muslim! Atheists, agnostics, and religious people of all types, including just pro-westerners. She said something really interesting, she said she had hoped they the Muslims would just come in and kill ‘everybody’, so as just to get it all over with, because she was so tired of the warfare and hatred. Note she is only about 28 or 30 even now. She and her husband are strong believers.

So, people targeted for death in these Muslim states (or anywhere) are never specifically Christians, even if the assassins ‘claim’ that they were (you can’t trust an ideology that kills like that, or trust them to be honest in their claims and excuses for who they are killing)

My point was that if a group is killing anyone for ‘whatever’ reason (other than plain old criminals) that Government/leader is going to be dangerous to real Christians just as well as ‘anybody’, it also certainly proves the Govt. is not Christian.

Is any leader/group that kills people better for Christians?
Is it better for the Gospel, or is it better that your children and wife are not murdered? (Two different questions I guess)
Would Christianity have been better if they did ‘not’ crucify Christ and the Disciples?
I think it is always ‘better’ if the innocent are ‘not’ killed in any circumstance, but unfortunately that is not the world we live in, and that’s the reason they died.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:15 pm

My other thought was, it is difficult to separate dictator from elected official, from Emperor etc. Anyone can become a dictator if they defy the laws that got them there. By definition a dictator takes his position by force, although Hussein participated in an earlier coup in Iraq, he was installed later by the Ba’ath party so he did not act alone in his appointment, once he got there it was another story. So even elected officials can ‘become’ dictators once they start acting alone, I think our current administration may be a case in point :|

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:42 am

In a post above, where I wrote "she said she had hoped they the Muslims would just come in and kill ‘everybody" I reread that and it sounded like I meant she still feels that way. She was talking from the perspective of being a young person, living in a horrible and violent area, who was tired of the constant violence. She is a different person now, and no longer living there, they fled, but she was just recalling the feeling and hopelessness they had there. In case this was misunderstood.

Return to “General”