To those who do not believe in Original Sin

paulespino

To those who do not believe in Original Sin

Post by paulespino » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:03 pm

Ephesians 1:11-12
11In him we were also chosen,e having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory

Romans 8:29
For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

To those who do not believe in Original Sin, do you think a baby who is sinless has been predestined to be with Christ?

Do you think that a baby who is sinless is a member of the Body of Christ?

mattrose

Re: To those who do not believe in Original Sin

Post by mattrose » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:04 pm

First, I think it is important to distinguish between rejecting an Augustinian approach to the doctrine of original sin and other possible approaches that may be labeled with the same words. I think Augustine's view of original sin (seemingly the most popular version of the doctrine) is wrong-headed. But certainly the creation is fallen. No baby comes into a pure world. They come into a broken world. And that brokenness touches their body, their development, their environment, etc. They are the product of a wicked world and will produce more of the same insofar as grace does not have its way.

All that being said, I do not believe they are counted as guilty by God. They do not, practically, inherit any guilt. Even if I believed in Augustine's version of original sin (as Wesley seems to have), I would not believe in inherited guilt (nor did Wesley) because I believe that prevenient grace (would) cancel as much. We opt out of the flow of grace in our lives by our own choice, not Adam's.

As for predestination, I view it as more of a corporate doctrine than an individual one; more ecclesiastical than soteriological. The corporate church has been chosen and predestined to be like Jesus to witness to the world. So I'd answer both of your questions with a no, not necessarily.

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks Matt.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:45 pm

I try not to read much into Genesis 3, and so I guess I don't "believe in Original Sin". (But I agree with what mattrose wrote.)

1. Do you think a baby who is sinless has been predestined to be with Christ?
You mean all babies, or just those who die in the womb or infancy (sadly)? If the former, it would seem not. If the latter, I don't know.

2. Do you think that a baby who is sinless is a member of the Body of Christ?
I guess not if they can't exhibit faith in God in any kind of way. (Again, not certain if you mean all babies.)
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Yes I meant all babies, those who have not reach the age of accountability.

Return to “General”