Faith is a substance

paulespino

Faith is a substance

Post by paulespino » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:16 pm

Hebrews 11:1
Now FAITH is the SUBSTANCE of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Faith is a substance but what does substance means. Dictionary describes substance as a matter that has density, weigh, mass, structure and shape. But we know that Faith is not a matter nor it has the characteristics of a matter.
What Paul is telling us is that Faith is like a Matter which is a substance that contain something and what does Faith contain or what are the substances of Faith.
Galatians 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
- Love is one of the substance of Faith without this Faith is not a TRUE Faith.
We can expand on LOVE such as love is being obedient to God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, Love is helping others, Love is not committing immoral acts and so on.
Without this Faith is not a substance and therefore is not a TRUE Faith.
Many People are saying that we are saved by Faith alone but what they have forgotten is that Faith is a substance which contain love.
Love can also be in a form of ACTIONS or WORK
Without LOVE, FAITH is not a TRUE FAITH and therefore the person is NOT SAVE.

Paidion

Re: Faith is a substance

Post by Paidion » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:57 pm

Hebrews 11:1

Faith is the essence of things fondly expected.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:04 pm

paulespino wrote:Hebrews 11:1
Now FAITH is the SUBSTANCE of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Faith is a substance but what does substance means. Dictionary describes substance as a matter that has density, weigh, mass, structure and shape. But we know that Faith is not a matter nor it has the characteristics of a matter.
What Paul is telling us is that Faith is like a Matter which is a substance that contain something and what does Faith contain or what are the substances of Faith.
Galatians 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
- Love is one of the substance of Faith without this Faith is not a TRUE Faith.
We can expand on LOVE such as love is being obedient to God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, Love is helping others, Love is not committing immoral acts and so on.
Without this Faith is not a substance and therefore is not a TRUE Faith.
Many People ares aying that we are saved by Faith alone but what they have forgotten is that Faith is a substance which contain love.
Hi paulespino,

The context denotes and describes what this faith is all about (Heb 11:15-16). It's what is hoped for that currently IS NOT seen or yet to come. Consider the following passage:

Romans 8:24-25 "For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it."

The substance is the hope of the New Covenant.

God Bless.

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Thanks Paidion and Rob for your reply, what I'm trying to do as you know by now is to prove that Faith is a combo, it comes with love without love Faith is nothing and therefore the person without love is not save. I guess I chose the wrong passage and try to mean it the way I want it.

I'm Guilty :oops: :oops:

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:57 pm

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:53 am

Thanks Dizerner, I agree that love without faith is useless that is why I said that faith and love is a Combo, you can not take away love and say that a person is saved by faith alone without love at the same time you can not say you love the people but you do not have faith in Christ and still be saved.
In the church where my sisters and parents go in which I used to go emphasizes on Grace. I noticed that the pastor whwenever he is preaching avoid passages in which the work of love is involve.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:22 am

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi Dizerner,

You wrote:
I've tried to "love" people by my efforts and choice because Christ commanded us to, but what a futile attempt it was. When instead I simply let Christ love people through me, I was sharing the love I myself had received.
Could you elaborate on what you mean when you say "by my efforts and choice"? When Jesus gave the greatest commandments one is "love thy neighbor". Given that love (agapao) is a verb, it is an action, something we are to do not based primarily in feelings but an act of the will. This is how we love an enemy or someone we do not like, by willing to do so and with His grace enabling us. In your experience what is the difference in how you experience this, as per your comment. What you say sounds like you make no effort, it just happens, so I may be misunderstanding you.

I do agree with you that works are evidentiary, not salvific.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Dizerner wrote:Sure, but we are not saved by righteous works, but faith alone. And by faith alone can we ever do a righteous work. You are reversing the soteriological order, works never, ever save, they are evidence you have been saved. Setting up a righteousness by works is bypassing the sole sufficiency of the work of the Cross and being justified by Law.
Hi Dizerner,

We are saved from WHAT by faith alone?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:21 pm

I agree that love doe not save us. Our Faith in Christ is what save us but this Faith must have love in order to work.

For example a A body of a car is useless without it's components it will not function, I believe it is the same with Faith. Faith is useless without it's main component which is Love. Faith will not function without it's component which is love.

I believe James 2:14-26 mentioned that You can not separate love with faith or in order for faith to function it must have it's main ingredient which is love

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Return to “General”