T.B.N. Your thoughts...

nancyer

T.B.N. Your thoughts...

Post by nancyer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:13 pm

I will no doubt get differing and opposing views on this but nevertheless, here goes. I am in Southern California and there isn't a lot of Christian television available. Some of our cable companies don't carry any such stations. (I have been quite vocal with them on this). TBN, Trinity Broadcasting Network, does provide several stations that I currently receive. I was wondering if there is a consensus on the validity of the leaders of TBN, Paul and Jan Crouch (I am aware Paul passed away last year) and their son and his wife. I thoroughly enjoy some of the programming, speakers and preachers they present. I do have trouble with others for various reasons so I don't watch everything just because it comes on TBN.

What are some of your thoughts? I know TBN speaks extensively on giving to support TBN and help spread the gospel around the world, which we are to be called to do but if they aren't valid doers of the Word of God, then what? (I haven't given them any money, don't have it to give, I'm asking about the teaching and "work" they are doing.)

Is it a matter of "one man's tea is another man's poison", in that if I'm getting something positive out of it, fine, though someone else would find it wrong?

dizerner

Re: T.B.N. Your thoughts...

Post by dizerner » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:59 pm

nancyer wrote:Is it a matter of "one man's tea is another man's poison", in that if I'm getting something positive out of it, fine, though someone else would find it wrong?

Pretty much, yeah. I don't know if they misuse funds, but the widow's mite was given to a corrupt religious institution and still honored by God. And if something is blessing you spiritually, Scripture instructs you to return the favor physically. I don't suppose anyone's teaching is perfect, although we should strive for it. What I say is "Test all things; hold fast to that which is good."

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:31 pm

I don't know if Jesus was advocating donations to corrupt religious institutions, but rather praising the faith of the woman who gave out of her want. Besides, if you're going to go that route then by all means give money to Robert Tilton if you feel blessed by him. :roll: Over the years that I have occasionaly watched the Crouches, I can't say I ever cared for their presentations, especially with their cozy relationship with Benny Hinn and their Prosperity Doctrine nonsense. I would vote with my wallet and give them zero, in my opinion. In fact, I may even be tempted to ask for justice for one of my two eyes, like Samson said.... :lol:

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:41 pm

I never argued Jesus was "advocating" it, I said God respected the woman's intentions.

MMathis

Post by MMathis » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:45 pm

Some of the programs I like and some I don't.

I do like the fact that you can watch family programs 24/7, without cuss words, sex, homosexual comedy, and my favorites, cat littler commercials and tampon demos.

Benny is funny to listen to, even if he smacks somebody in the head.

With a Roku box I can watch TBN movies on demand. Facing the Giants is one of my favorites.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:41 pm

I don't care for Benny Hin at all and when the Crouches get into prosperity preaching I change channels. I really am looking for great Bible study and lessons from God's Word.

I just watched Praise the Lord because Christine Caine and Beth Moore were speaking and I really love them. I wish I could be as on fire for God as they are, I really do. And I believe their prayers have helped me, personally, in the past.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. So far, I haven't heard anything truly negative about TBN which is good, is it not?

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:47 pm

I was wondering if there is a consensus on the validity of the leaders of TBN, Paul and Jan Crouch (I am aware Paul passed away last year) and their son and his wife.
Are you questioning their personal integrity? I've heard some pretty bad things but never verified them. Why not do some research online.

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:38 am

This is what I've long expected was the case. It makes me very sad but at least I haven't contributed to their finances. I still want to say that I do like some of the speakers/preachers they present and will continue to watch those particular programs.

The article said family members have said that the Crouches are truly "spiritually minded" and believe they are doing God's work, which I sincerely hope is the case. I will be praying that God will open their eyes and help them make amends.

Thank you for this article, Homer. God bless you.

Return to “General”