Back ground checks for childcare servants!

Clint

Post by Clint » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:53 pm

Hello all!

The leadership asked us (childcare 'servants')to fill out a form and provide our Social security numbers, so they can run background checks on us. I understand that they want to keep children safe, but this doesn't sit right with me. I do not have anything to hide, but I thought saying no just to see if they what they would do. I mean, didn't they prayerfully consider everyone in these roles? We go to a nondenominational church that has about 250-300 people. So, it's not that large of a congregation in my opinion. Background checks on the body of Christ? I don't know, maybe I'm reading to much into it. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dizerner

Re: Back ground checks for childcare servants!

Post by dizerner » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:08 pm

I've heard some horror stories from people in churches that just all assumed so and so was a nice guy, and he ruined many kids lives. One almost committed suicide. Maybe they want to prevent something like that.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi Clint.
Dizerner posted just before I could send mine. I think we are on the same wave length concerning this matter. Here is what I wrote before reading Dizerner's post:

The children could be at risk even from some church-going people—no matter how sound the church is. You may be no risk to the children, but if everyone refuses the background check, how are they going to discover that person or persons in the congregation who may be a threat. You may think there is no one. But those who do such things are very skilled at appearing to be perfectly normal.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Clint

Post by Clint » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:31 pm

Thanks for your replies. This is email I received:

"Thank you for faithfully serving the children at [church name removed:)] Your commitment to love our kids and point them to Christ is making an eternal difference!

One of the ways we can love our children is by providing a safe environment where they can learn and grow. In an effort to do so, the leadership of Christ Church is asking all Children and Student Ministry volunteers to complete a simple form allowing the church to run a background check on all adults who work with children under the age of 18. "

Maybe I'm reading to much into it. I can see the benefits of doing this I guess. However, I've been attending this church for over a decade, and think I should be "grandfathered" in:)

Clint

Post by Clint » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:39 pm

Thank you Paidion and Dizerner! I do appreciate the objective feedback.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:19 am

The elementary school principal from a nearby community has been arrested for sending lingerie to a 14 year old in a neighboring state. A church would likely have had no hesitance to let him serve as a Sunday school teacher. Things are not always as they seem. Safeguards like this can prevent a lot of mischief.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Clint

Post by Clint » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:53 am

Thanks morbo3000 for your reply. You all make good points. There are some people who've done some sick things to kids. As a father of 6, I understand. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive. My wife told me I was making to much of this. But, from what I hear from the leadership is, "thank you for your commitment to love our kids and point them to Christ, but I don't trust you!"

Oh well, I'm singing the song in my head, "If you don't know me by now," by Harold Melvin and the Blue notes!;)

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:31 am

I think the thing you could best do to put your mind at ease, re: feeling it's an accusation... Is that it's an opportunity for you to be a servant leader. In order for a church to start requiring background checks for people working with youth and children, there has to be buy in from everyone. Otherwise, the next person that comes sees that the ones who were there before didn't do the background check, so why should he? It's an investment in the future of your church. If you believe the church will never grow beyond the people that are there, and we should all trust each other, your limiting what God might have in mind for your congregation. Perhaps your vision can be for the next family that comes to your church who you will want to see ministering to children, but won't know them as well as your church knows you. By taking the first step yourself to put safe into place safeguards, you are opening the door to opportunities God might have for you that you don't see yet.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Clint

Post by Clint » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:56 am

Thanks, morbo3000. That's something else to think about as well. I will submit to it to be a good example to others.

I guess it's odd because no one is ever alone with the children in any class. There is always at least 4 "servants" in every room. I do not see how the opportunity could arise for someone to do something inappropriate to the children, and they're are also cameras in every room! Our church building is used as a daycare through out the week, so that's why we have them.

I would understand if there where some overnight events, such as a lock-in or a DNOW conference which is a weekend event. I can see the importance of know the adults who hang out with the outside the normal scheduled meetings.

What bothers me is a church relying on a outside agency to tell our leadership if their members are qualified to serve, instead of taking the time to get to know the members, and prayerfully considering those who would potentially serve in this capacity.

TK

Post by TK » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:48 am

I work for a company that insures your serving organizations.

It is entirely irresponsible for any church or youth serving organization to not do background checks.

From an purely pragmatic standpoint, if a worker harms a child, at least the church, etc can say they did a background check and there were no prior indications. It is a primary line of liability defense.

The other thing to consider is that 1 in 10 children are sexually molested by the age of 18. The perpetrator is almost always someone the child and family knows and trusts. The most common refrain we hear about the perpetrator when something like this happens: "We can't believe it. He was such a great guy."

As a side note I very highly recommend the recent film "Spotlight." It is a fascinating, but devastating story about this topic.

Return to “General”