Which Denomination/Group Best Exemplifies Your Beliefs

_livingink

Post by _livingink » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:18 pm

Matt et al,

In looking through the list I'm trying to find a group that might be a match for a relative who has been attending a Roman Catholic congregation but is now somewhat disillusioned with that experience. We suggested getting together for awhile just to study at home but we got the impression that she's looking for another denomination. Does anyone have a suggestion for a transition for her? Part of her disillusionment is the result of feeling that the RC church is too focused on the business side vs. the spiritual side of organization. Having left the institutional church over a year ago, I believe I'm a poor resource for her.

Thanks,

livingink
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:23 pm

I can't really be of great help to you since most of the churches I've been involved with to any degree are all similar. But I can say that in Western NY, where I live, lots of former catholics have switched to my own denomination (the wesleyan church). I guess I'd recommend a strong wesleyan/nazarene/free-methodist church.

Maybe if you say where you live, someone on this board would personally know of a good church in the area?
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_livingink

Post by _livingink » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:34 pm

Hey, that was fast! Were you watching me type that question? The person involved is in western Maryland near Oakland, Deep Creek Lake, Cumberland even wouldn't be too far.

livingink
Reason:

_JC

Post by _JC » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:14 pm

Matt, I don't mean to bogart your thread, but I'm considering attending a Methodist church in my area. I sometimes teach a bible study for a local church even though I'm not a member there. Anyway, it seems that Methodists regularly ordain women into the pastor role. What are your thoughts on this?
Reason:

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:05 am

I think it's a tough issue

I don't have a firm position, but I don't take big issue with the idea of ordaining women. I am still, however, a bit uncomfortable with women in the primary leadership role in a church. I wrote on the subject below

http://knewkingdom.blogspot.com/2005/06 ... istry.html
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

Return to “General”