Praying out loud

_Anonymous

Praying out loud

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:25 pm

Steve - (and others),

What is your opinion on praying out loud in a group versus praying by yourself?

I recently was talking to somebody (a Christian) about coming to a prayer meeting at our church. They expressed concern over having to pray out loud in front of people, and said that if they would go they would not pray out loud.

I know there is nothing in the Bible that commands us to pray out loud. However, would there be any reason to try to encourage somebody to pray out loud in a group? What is you opinion of prayer meetings where it is an unwritten expectation that everybody there would pray out loud?

Thanks.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:12 pm

I can only answer based on my own experiences with group prayer but my opinion is that one should never be forced to pray out loud. Group prayers can be extremely edifying but I've also been in groups where some of the attendees seem to be doing little more than showing off by hosting long, drawn out prayers to appear to be holy. Then if the next guy in line only has a short prayer he's seen as less holy. These attitudes are just silly and goes in line with Jesus' warning regarding praying like the hypocrites. Also, people not accustomed to praying in public (prayer is very personal anyway) feel more like they are performing. This is not the right spirit so be aware that some are uncomfortable doing so. Whether or not one side is more correct than the other, keep in mind that stumbling a weaker brother by having him go against his conscience is sin. Anyway, I'm sure others will provide you with a better answer.
Reason:

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm

Matthew 6:7

When you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition, as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.

Jesus taught that Christian practices should be consistent with the inward condition of the heart. Holding to external practices which no longer correlate with the heart is repugnant to God. Change is most needed when Christians sit stoically week after week reciting endless creeds in utter hypocrisy. Tragically, those who are coming to a church simply to fulfill a religious obligation are the most resistant to change. Paradoxically, the ones who have a real Christian experience are the ones who are free to change their Christian practices. They are committed to the substance of their faith, not the form.
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:12 pm

I actually don't like to pray out loud in large groups. I love to pray out loud with my family but not in groups. I would be a different story if I was leading a prayer group, but just going aroung the room and taking turns just puts pressure on people to perform when the heart is not in it. Especially if you are asked to pray for something vague and/or of questionable motive like "hope my dad gets out of jail" or "I'd like a job were I make more money".

I'm just personally uncomfortable in this situation.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:44 am

My 2 cents (no refunds will be given :D ):

Praying in groups was apparently done quite frequently in the early church (Acts 2:42, 4:24-31, 6:6, 12:12, 16:25, etc).
I would assert that the point of praying in a group is that all could agree together. In order to do this, one or many in the group need to pray aloud.
If praying aloud causes some to feel pressure to conform or perform, then the fault isn't with the act of praying aloud in a group, but with a person's desire to please man more than God.

In Matthew 6:5, Jesus is stating that prayer is not to please others, but to communicate with God. It is true that Jesus urges prayer in secret to avoid the trappings of pride, but if He'd condemned group or public prayer, then the early church was way out of line.

Personally, I don't mind praying aloud in groups. I admit that at times my "flesh" wants to please people and sound "holy" in my prayers, but it becomes a good opportunity to humble myself and pray anyway, with the focus on communication with God. If it is a real struggle for someone, I would advise not praying aloud until their heart is in the right place.

An issue that I see in group prayer is that the prayer seems to be mostly if not completely a "laundry list" of requests for this or that personal need. While I know that we are called to bring our requests to God, the example prayers I see in the New Testament seem to focus on requests that will bring glory to God.
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:48 pm

I personally enjoy hearing the prayers of newer believers that aren't concerned necessarily about being "theologically correct" in their prayers, but are rather just pouring out their heart.

I also love listening to the prayers of my kids.

My 21 month old just says "mama, dada, ull (Will his brother), men (Amen)".

I, however, often times fall into the sounding spiritual trap during corporate prayer. A mark of my immaturity I'm sure. My sweetest prayers take place when I'm just walking in the woods, riding my bike, or driving my car.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:33 pm

Christopher wrote:I personally enjoy hearing the prayers of newer believers that aren't concerned necessarily about being "theologically correct" in their prayers, but are rather just pouring out their heart.

I also love listening to the prayers of my kids.

My 21 month old just says "mama, dada, ull (Will his brother), men (Amen)".

I, however, often times fall into the sounding spiritual trap during corporate prayer. A mark of my immaturity I'm sure. My sweetest prayers take place when I'm just walking in the woods, riding my bike, or driving my car.
I've had the same experience, Christopher, that my most precious prayer times are when I'm walking or doing work alone. Sometimes I find myself praying before I even know it. Hopefully that doesn't sound too weird.

I have a hard time praying in groups larger than 3 or 4 people, but then I have a hard time talking at all in front of groups that size. It seems like there is always someone who enjoys praying in front of a crowd and who will pick up the slack where I've left it.
Reason:

_DonO

Post by _DonO » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:11 pm

Hello just a couple of observations about public prayer. I have seen instances of performance or preaching instead of praying. Also I don't believe we must pray in King James English with the thines , thous ect, ect. Long repetitive prayers are a turn off to me and I am sure that it is to many others. Jesus gave the example of 2 people praying one a self righteous blowhard who was performing for the crowds approval and the other man with a short heart felt prayer for forgiveness. Jesus said the second man went away justified. This was because it was from the heart and the Spirit was moving. The first man the religious man well he got the admiration of the religious crowd but that was as far as it goes. Also we see in the Old Testament the prophets of Baal were praying long and hard but nothing happened. The prophet of God prayed a short simple prayer and the fire fell. So I believe we should keep it simple and short and to the point. Also in some movements public prayer is used to order God around. This is a blasphemous practice that we the created should attempt to tell the creator what to do or that he is obligated to jump to our commands. Just a couple of things I have observed.
Reason:
All that glitters ain't gold, BEWARE of false prophets and satans ministers who decieve the flock.

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:49 pm

I was listening to Steves show today and part of the hour was spent on the issue of praying to Mary.

Steve made a good point concerning the inability of any saint in heaven to be able to hear and respond to the countless prayers that may come Mary's way. (she must be taking them in the order they are received :lol: )

The arguement went that the catholics do not pray to Mary but ask Mary to intercede, in effect, to the Father and they are not really praying to Mary. My comment/question would be that in asking Mary to pray to the Father on their behalf, wouldn't this be the very same as praying to Mary and in the very least conjouring up a spirit in order to communicate with God?
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:42 pm

"hail mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee
blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of they womb, jesus
holy mary mother of god
pray for us sinners now and at the time of our deaths. amen"

if that's not praying to Mary, I dont know what is. sure, the prayer contains some true statements, but big deal.

if i wanted to pray to someone to intercede for me, i guess i'd pick someone who knows me, like my grandfather. but of course he can't hear me either.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

Return to “General”