Church shopping—excursus on Calvary Chapel Movement

_Christopher

Church shopping—excursus on Calvary Chapel Movement

Post by _Christopher » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:50 pm

This is to the Portland/Vancouver area brothers (or sisters):

Does anyone know of a good church in this area to recommend? I'd like to also hear why you like it. Positive comments only when naming specific churches please. Thanks.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_Blind Beggar

Post by _Blind Beggar » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:45 pm

This is such a hard question Christopher because it is so dependant on what God is doing in your life and journey.

My wife and I belong to Greater Portland Bible (www.pdxchurch.com) in SW Portland/Hillsdale area.

What we like about this group of believers:

* Orthodox in belief, but not dogmatic about secondary issues. My semi-Arminian/Preterist/Amillennial view doesn't cause any problems even though most of the staff is Pre-millennial.
* For a 29 year old body, surprisingly missional and missionary.
* Focus on being a cross-cultural missionary people in our own community, especially in the younger adult post-modern group.
* Not political from the pulpit.
* Contemporary in worship.
* Staff is open, real and an active part of the body as people.
* No “we have arrived” attitude; still a teachable people.

No body is perfect, including GPBC.

If you want to drop by some Sunday, let me know so I can introduce myself.
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks Beggar,

Maybe I'll just do that. In the meantime, I'll check out the webpage.
Orthodox in belief, but not dogmatic about secondary issues
I especially like that part.

Lord Bless.
Reason:

_Crusader

Hi

Post by _Crusader » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:00 am

Yes I can,get into a good Calvary Chapel where the Word is taught and you will grow. Verse by verse and line by line as Chuck Smith says. The love there is real and genuine. Today there are as many Churches as there are types of theology to go with them. Rightly dividng the Word of God is whats important and you cant go wrong at a Calvary Chapel. From what Ive gathered here your more into preterism and thats o.k...you can have your own views and people wont bug you there.So just smile when they go over that, which isnt all the time. But for sheer teaching of the Word and balance you can rest assured you will find it at a Calvary Chapel.

Crusader
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:31 am

Thanks Crusader,

I've attended CC and I agree with you that it's one of the better denominations I know of. However, for reasons I won't go into, I don't believe it would be a good fit for me and my family at this time.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

Lord bless.
Reason:

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:43 am

Have you thought of starting your own denomination?
:D
Reason:

_loaves

Post by _loaves » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:48 am

Christopher: Hi, I'm not familiar with Oregon geography, but here goes:

Valley Christian Fellowship
Halsey, Oregon
Jake Wilcoxson • (541) 995-4850

Deer Park Washington Disciples
Deer Park, Washington
Gary Miles • (509) 276-5156
http://deerparkwashingtondisciples.net/

Manna Christian Fellowship
Ellensburg, Washington
Jamie Gordon • (509) 925-1167
Reason:
Agape,

loaves

"And when he had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and brake the loaves...And they did all eat, and were filled" (Mark 6:41-42)

_JD

Post by _JD » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:25 am

Hi Christopher,

My lame suggestion would be to google house church networks, and see what comes up in that area. I don't know your situation, and maybe I'm way off here, but maybe you need some time to decompress from institutional church? One of the issues with traditional churches is that you visit, and they seem to immediately want you to get "plugged in" and volunteer for stuff. Maybe organic fellowship without the ministry machine grinding you down would be good.

Hi Crusader,

I agree with much of what you say concerning CC, but I would have to caution people about certain prevailing trends within the movement. 1. The leadership style that is centered around the Senior Pastor 2. The overemphasis on dispensationalism and Zionism. 3. What seems to be a leaving of Spirit-led ministry and a leaning on the hand-me down teachings of Chuck Smith. I enjoy his teachings, but if people stray from such at CC, there will be trouble 4. What once seemed to be a vibrant movement is trickling into the stagnant waters of past revivals. I know there are exceptions, and I think Chuck Smith Jr. understands God's moving among this culture more than many CC pastors, for example. I understand that Jon Coursen is willing to move beyond the formulaic ministry style as well. Do you want to start a CC thread in the teachers, authors and movements section??

I recommend CCs to new believers, or people looking for a good, solid church. But I know that if they grow beyond the elementary principles taught at CC, and question disputable doctrine, they will eventually be encouraged to move on, or they will reach the conclusion that their ministry will be limited.

I was involved in CC's for nearly a decade. Do I carry too broad a brush? Correct me, where I've erred, and I hope this didn't come off as divisive, or mean-spirited.

Regards,
JD
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:28 am

JD,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have considered that very thing and a less-structured fellowship sounds very attractive to me. However, since I have young children, it makes it a rather difficult decision.

I can't say I disagree with your assessment about CC, Ive also spent about a decade there. It's a great church as long as you don't move beyond their basics.

We have actually been attending a church for a few weeks that we are pleased with so far. But we're still open to suggestions to consider prayerfully.

Lord bless.
Reason:

_Crusader

Hi

Post by _Crusader » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:02 am

I got saved in 1974 in Santa Cruz and went to a Church Lonnie Frisbee started and grew up in the Lord there...at the end of the Jesus movement...knew Lonnie and I am very familiar with the dynamics of what a New Testament Church should be. We eventually went through Shepherding and came out the other side of that whole nightmare.Ive heard Bob Mumford teach a lot and even used to subcribe to New Wine magazine. I still have one of his tapes and one by Ern Baxter that I treasure. The Church eventually blew apart and one Sunday instead of 300 there was 30. I have a more charismatic background but with all that said and after walking with the Lord for 32 years Ive come to appreciate what Calvary Chapel has given to me. Actually the Lord led my family and I there about 10 years ago and I wouldnt go anywhere else unless called there. Its about the genuine love of Jesus, the level of maturity of Christians and the constant teaching of the Word that for this time really attracts me. Our Pastor just finished the book of Luke and teaching every Sunday it took 80 weeks and it was awesome. Our Pastor actually is thankful there are so many different Churches for all of Gods people to go to out there. Its great because with all the different types of people everyone can find somwhere to attend. Frankly Im leary of teachers who get up and quote one verse and then go one for a half hour on what it supposed to mean and how its applied. There is too much room for error. People it seems to me today are looking for this mega "spiritual experience" oriented Church . We look for signs and wonders,we want our needs all met,and we have a laundry list of items that seeker sensitive Churches are built around. Its really kind of a bummer in may ways cause it can make for underfed believers.You know what blows my mind,is that how after 32 years I can read the same verses over and always get spoken too and fed. The few main things Ive come to look for in a Church are teaching Gods Word and the love of Jesus Christ displayed. The Lord did have a special outpouring with Lonnie Frisbee and the Jesus movement. Its my personal oppinion that God was counteracting what the Devil was doing during the 60s. It will come again in His timing but rather than seek the signs we should be seeking the giver of these gifts. I dont think Calvary Chapel is for everyone and apparently God doesnt either or He wouldnt have started so many other different works all over the place. I have no problems with thier theology since after going there I spent a lot of time seeing if it was all there...and to my satisfaction it is. We used to leave Church and Ide tell my wife" Hey I'll be 10 bucks the Lord doesnt come back today". I really never studied the rapture out completely and I really didnt care when He came back cause either way it was a win win...I was with Him now and when He returns it will just be all the better. But one day I decided to go for it and I spent months and months digging in...reading anything and everything and studying the Word...and I came to believe that unequivically the Church as His bride is going to be taken out before the tribulation.

Crusader
Reason:
Peace is a fruit of the Spirit..its good for the healing of many people and glorifes the living God when done in His name.

Return to “General”