Call or Aspiration?

jaydam

Call or Aspiration?

Post by jaydam » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:49 pm

I go to a Pentecostal church and seminary, and one of their beliefs is in a ministry anointing. They say one will fill the office God has chosen for them. It is a predetermined, anointing empowerment for the office God has in store for you. Work must still be put in from the individual, but the office they are to hold, and the skill for it, come from God.

However, I read in 1 Timothy that aspiration is a worthy thing. This would seem to indicate that the desire and work of the individual can determine what they wish to do.

Obviously, nobody can gain a position God closes the door on, but it seems that contrary to the Pentecostal idea of a calling, Paul sees, beyond the salvation call, the position of service is related to aspiration and work towards the position the individual would find desirable.

To believe it is God's calling seems to indicate there is only one option a person is called to, but to consider it an aspiration would seem to lean towards many options, and it is up to the person to choose what they want to aspire and work for.

steve

Re: Call or Aspiration?

Post by steve » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:09 pm

This is really a hard question to answer from scripture. It seems that God does not do the same thing with all people. Certain individuals, like Jeremiah (Jer. 1:5) and Paul (Gal.1:15), seem to have be pre-selected by God before their births to fill specific ministry niches. Many of God's chosen servants—e.g., Moses (Ex.4:10) and Jeremiah (Jer.1:6)—far from aspiring to their ministries, sought to turn down God's calling. Jonah even sought to run from his calling, but God didn't let him escape (Jon.1:3, 17). Likewise, the Levites were not given any option as to whether they did the Levite thing or not.

On the other hand, some "callings" may be successfully resisted. The rich, young ruler was called to follow Christ (apparently in ministry, like the other disciples), but he had insufficient interest in it and walked away (Mark 10:21-22). Judas, too, was able to opt out of his apostolic office (Acts 1:17, 25).

Still other ministry posts seem to be left more to the prerogative of the individuals. Aspiring for eldership and deaconship appear to be in this category, as well as the special role of certain "widows" who served the church under a vow of singleness. These positions appear to have been voluntary, and candidates would have to be shown to possess certain qualifications (1 Tim.3:1, 10; 5:9-10).

Not every ministry involves public-speaking responsibilities. Those who do speak to the church (e.g., apostles, prophets, teachers, etc.) are supposed to "speak as the oracles of God" (1 Peter 4:10-11). This seems to imply oracular or supernatural anointing. God seems to "appoint" certain individuals, but not all, to such ministries (1 Cor.12:28-30)—though all are encouraged to desire those ministries that are the "best" (1 Cor.12:31; 14:1). All may prophesy (1 Cor.14:31), but not all are appointed as "prophets" (1 Cor.12:29).

I feel that I was "called" specifically to ministry, even in my childhood. I found no satisfaction in the prospects of any career that did not involve ministry to souls. Not all Christians feel this the same way, which makes me think not all are called to the same thing. The man who feels the strong urge to preach or teach may justly suspect that this is the call of God on his life. It would need to be confirmed by the presence of both giftedness and fruitfulness, evidenced when he engages in these activities. It is probable that others in the body of Christ will recognize this gift and "calling" in one's life before he is even aware or certain of it.

There are ministries of "service" (Rom.12:7), "giving," "leading," and "showing mercy" (Rom.12:8), which need not involve preaching or teaching, and I believe that many (most?) Christians are called to somewhat "ordinary" lifestyles involving secular employment. In the course of such employment, one may be enabled to give or to serve others in financial or practical ways. These are ministries as important as any others.

Return to “Miscellaneous”