Need help understanding a concept regarding surrender

mattrose

Re: Need help understanding a concept regarding surrender

Post by mattrose » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:53 pm

dizerner wrote:I guess Jesus was the creepiest guy ever.
I think the point being made is that Christ-like-ness can flow through a variety of personalities. Each person has a different background, experiences, passions, etc. And I believe God likes it that way. If God didn't like diversity, creation wouldn't be so diverse. Every human being can become Christ-like without becoming a clone.

Singalphile

Re: Need help understanding a concept regarding surrender

Post by Singalphile » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 pm

I was going to say something similar, mattrose. Like TK, I have some trouble understanding what the OP quote and dizerner are saying. (The parts I do understand, though, are very valuable reminders.)

I think it is likely that the Spirit works with different individuals in different ways, just as we have different gifts, interests, ministries, and perspectives. I think that different parts of Scripture affect people differently and can come along at just the right time in a believer's life such that they inspire a more Christ-centered life. The same passage might not be as potent in another person's life. As long as we are united as in Phil 2, that seems good to me.

More on topic, if a person believes in Jesus and walks in or is filled with the Spirit, as instructed (Eph 5:18, Gal 5:16), I'm not sure why his or her efforts to obey God should fail. Of course I fail sometimes, but I only blame myself. I don't have a problem with striving all the more (2 Peter 1:5-8), provided I also keep in mind the things that dizerner (and others) are, I think, saying.

Paidion, your post reminded me of the New Jerusalem in Rev 21, which I take to be symbolic of the Church. Maybe not too much of a stretch to think that God had His people's diversity in mind.

Also, I'm reminded of this old song by Carman, Temptation Boogie, which I like (it's funny among other things).
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Miscellaneous”