Revelation 12:11

dwight92070

Revelation 12:11

Post by dwight92070 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:36 am

For years this verse bothered me because I thought the last phrase was speaking of facing martyrdom and I wasn't sure if I had the strength to face that. But looking at it again today, I don't believe martyrdom is the focus at all, even though it includes that.

KJV says: "and they did not love their lives to the death". NASB says: "and they did not love their life even when faced with death". Both of these seem to imply martyrdom, IMO. But when I looked at the margin, the literal translation is: "and they loved not their life even to death". That gives it a whole different meaning. It is saying that we are to not love our lives as long as we are alive (in comparison with our love for Him and His kingdom). Of course, we could one day face martyrdom, but we do not need to focus on that, because that also may not happen. Our focus should be on the present and our need to love Him.

dwight92070

Re: Revelation 12:11

Post by dwight92070 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:07 am

I am reminded of a story told by John Garlock when I was in Bible school. His father, H.B. Garlock took his family to Africa to be missionaries there. Well, one day an American man came to join them in their work. He was a rather quiet man who served the African people for many years, trying to reach them for the Lord. He was an awkward speaker, so he didn't give many sermons, basically just helped wherever he could. Even the Africans did not seem too impressed with him.

The day came when the man died. At his funeral, the Africans came out in droves to honor this man. They came from many surrounding villages. The Garlock's were shocked. They had not seen such a large crowd of Africans gathered together before. They asked the Africans why there was such a crowd. Their response: This man gave what was left of his life for us. He served us until he died.

This man loved not his life to death. I know he has a great reward.

Paidion

Re: Revelation 12:11

Post by Paidion » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:26 pm

Yes, Dwight. I think you have the correct understanding of the verse.

The Greek word before "death" is "αχρι" (achri), and this word means "as far as". So they did not love their lives as far as death, or as you paraphrased it, "They did not love their lives as long as they lived."
Thank you for bringing this up. Until I read your post, and looked the verse up in Greek just now, I had always interpreted it the other way.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Miscellaneous”