1 Cor 3:1-15

_Father_of_five

1 Cor 3:1-15

Post by _Father_of_five » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:03 pm

The popular interpretation of this passage revolves around the theme of heavenly rewards for good works (deeds). I believe, however, that there is a more accurate interpretation. Let me explain.

First, it must be established that Paul is making a distinction between those who labor in teaching and discipling and those who are being taught.

1 Cor 3:5-9
5What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe–as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. 7So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. 9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.

Look at verse 9. Paul says that he and Apollos are the laborers (those who plant and water). He then makes the distinction that "you are God's field, God's building." Those who are being taught and discipled are the "work" of the laborers. Look at 1 Cor 9:1.

1 Cor 9:1
1 Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord?

So we can see that the "work" referred to here and in 1 Cor 3:13 is not talking about someone's deeds; rather, it is referring to individuals who are being taught by Paul, Apollos and other laborers.

To further establish this point let's look at a few more scriptures.

1 Pet 2:5
you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

1 Cor 3:16
16Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?

Paul and Apollos and their fellow laborers are building upon the foundation of Christ stone by stone (disciple by disciple).

Now, the scripture makes another distinction. This time the distinction is about the quality of each disciple.

1 Cor 3:12
12If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw

There is a companion scripture in 2 Tim 2:19-21.

2 Tim 2:19-21
19Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal: "The Lord knoweth those who are His," and, "Let every one who nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." 20But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth, and some to honor and some to dishonor. 21If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honor, sanctified and meet for the Master's use, and prepared for every good work.

This scripture is very plain that the gold and silver vessels (disciples) are honorable and prepared while those of wood and earth (hay and stubble) are not. So what is the outcome for those who are not honorable and prepared? See the next verse in 1 Cor 3:13.

1 Cor 3:13
13his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work.

Remember the "work" discussed here is NOT talking about deeds but disciples. This scipture is referring to the Judgement of all mankind. As the next scipture points out not all who are taught and discipled by the laborers will be found to be saved.

1 Cor 3:14-15
14If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

The final statement here by Paul explains that those who labor in bringing others to Christ will receive a reward for each person who is actually saved. Although some of the students may not be saved the teacher will still be saved.

Todd
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_ryan4jesus

Post by _ryan4jesus » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:18 am

That was great Todd! Thank you very much!

We have a highly influential church in our town that teaches the interpretation of these verses to be to the effect of -- "See, Christians can still be saved and be completely carnal and not have any "works" and live like the devil -- but yet they will be saved and escape the flames."

Anyway, sick stuff.... thanks for your explatation! I heard someone else talk about this passage recently -- maybe the radio broadcast? - with the same explanation as you and it was the first time I heard it interpreted that way, but it really seems to make a lot of sense. Thanks!
Reason:

_ryan4jesus

Post by _ryan4jesus » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:19 am

Oops - I was on my husband's computer and was signed in under his name. The previous post was by "Rae" or Rachel.

-Rachel
Reason:

_Father_of_five

Post by _Father_of_five » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:27 am

Rachel, thanks.

To me this scripture is very similar to the parable of the sower in Matt 13:1-23.

Matt 13:18-23
18“Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”

The sower would be the laborers and teachers like Paul and Apollos and anyone who shares the Gospel of Christ. Those who hear the word and produce fruit as described in verse 23 are the "gold, silver, and precious stones". The others would be the "wood, hay, and stubble".

Todd
Reason:

_JEREMIAH

Wood, Hay, and Stubble

Post by _JEREMIAH » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:36 am

I agree with, and have also held to this interpretation. It is so often misquoted. "When you pass through the fire thou shalt not be burned." "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you." Also in the parable of the sower it speaks of persecution that arises like the sun with a burning heat that causes some to be scorched.
Reason:

Return to “Miscellaneous”