Sin vs. Transgression vs. Iniquity

_Rae

Sin vs. Transgression vs. Iniquity

Post by _Rae » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:35 pm

Steve,

I have heard people talk about the difference between these three terms and I was wondering what your thought about it were. I had thought about calling into the show and asking, but I thought this might be better answered on the forum (plus, I have a list of other questions I wanted to call in and ask). Thanks!

-Rachel
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:06 pm

Any thoughts?
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:05 pm

Was this question answered on the radio program? If so, can someone give a brief summary of the answer? Well, even if it wasn't answered on-air, could someone give an answer here? Thanks!
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:06 am

The three words you inquired about are not entirely distinct from one another, but their meanings overlap and can be synonymous. All three simply give a different shade or nuance of the same idea.

1. "Sin," in the New Testament, is the word "hamartia," which has the etymological meaning "to miss the mark." It is the most generic of the three terms you asked about, and it is clear that the other two are sub-categories of this concept. It can refer to the power or principle of disobedience and evil that inheres in fallen human nature—the tendency to do what is wrong (Rom.7:14, 17, 23/ 1 Cor.15:56), or it can refer to actual cases of wrongdoing (e.g., 1 John 1:9-10; 2:1). Such acts are defined as "wrong" by the commands or law of God. The neglect of a commanded duty is sin, as well (James 4:17). The various meanings of sin overlap those of the other two words in your list.

2. "Iniquity" in the Greek New Testament, is "anomia" (meaning "lawlessness"). It is used both to refer to a general lifestyle devoid of submission to law—especially God's law (e.g., Matt.7:23; 24:12), and also, in the plural, of the manifestations of lawlessness in specific acts (e.g., Rom.4:7 and Hebrews 10:17, where NKJV renders "lawless deeds" instead of the KJV's "iniquities"). The similarity in meaning between this concept and that of sin, in general, is clear from a verse like 1 John 3:4—

"Whoever commits sin (hamartia) also comits lawlessness (anomia), and sin (hamartia) is lawlessness (anomia)."

3. "Transgression," on the other hand, carries the idea of "overstepping" or "going beyond" a boundary (or law). Unlike sin, in general, "transgression" cannot occur without there being a law to transgress (Rom.4:15). The coming of law thus makes already-sinful men to be "transgressors," because it draws a boundary around virtue and shows the sinner that he is standing outside that boundary. This is the concept Paul discusses in Rom.5:13, 20; 7:7 (where the word transgression is not used, but is in mind).
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “Miscellaneous”