Death, Then What?

_Father_of_five

Post by _Father_of_five » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:56 pm

STEVE7150 wrote:At the resurrection unbelievers are judged but before that time they have not been judged so then if judgement has any real meaning these unbelievers should not do anything but sleep until judgement day.
STEVE7150,

This may be somewhat "off topic" but I have been doing a study of the Judgement recently. Your statement here seems to infer that believers will not be judged along side the unbelievers on judgement day.

2 Cor 5:10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

This verse seems to indicate otherwise. Can you please explain your reasoning. Thank you.

Todd
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:02 pm

Father of Five, My understanding is that unbelievers are judged on the last day but believers go to be with the Lord at least in spirit when they die. So they have been judged at least to the extent of having Christs righteousness attributed to them at their death. In Phil 1 i think Paul said "far better it is for me to depart and be with the Lord" so for him to be with the Lord he would have to judged righteous. IMO unbelievers sleep until the resurrection but believers depart to be with Christ. But not everyone agrees with this conclusion.
Reason:

_Father_of_five

Post by _Father_of_five » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:24 pm

STEVE7150 wrote:Father of Five, My understanding is that unbelievers are judged on the last day but believers go to be with the Lord at least in spirit when they die. So they have been judged at least to the extent of having Christs righteousness attributed to them at their death. In Phil 1 i think Paul said "far better it is for me to depart and be with the Lord" so for him to be with the Lord he would have to judged righteous. IMO unbelievers sleep until the resurrection but believers depart to be with Christ. But not everyone agrees with this conclusion.
So, when you say, "unbelievers are judged on the last day", what is "the last day" you are referring to? It seems to me you are saying "the last day" is the day they die. And, perhaps, the judgment they receive is death, whereas, the believer lives on in spirit with Christ. This would seem to fit with Paul's statement that "the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Rom 6:23) Do I understand what you are saying correctly? Thanks.

Todd
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:00 pm

Hello Todd, I believe unbelievers are judged in the last day for mankind at the resurrection of the just and the unjust" those who have done good to a resurrection of life and those who have done evil to a resurrection of judgement." John 5.28-29 IMO "the wages of sin is death" refers to spiritual death. Scripture says "As in Adam all have died and in Christ all shall be made alive" i believe is referring to spiritual life and death. Paul said the physical is temporal and the spiritual is eternal so spiritual is much more significant than physical. It's possible the judgement unbelievers receive is death but it seems to me that death is first thrown into the lake of fire and apparently destroyed because Paul said "death is the last enemy to be destroyed." Afterwards unbelievers are thrown into the lake of fire. Than nothing at all is said until Rev 22.17 when the Spirit and the Bride invite whosoever to partake in the water of life. So it seems scripture leaves a lot of possibilities open.
Reason:

Return to “Miscellaneous”